XXXI. Gift

It was Alice's idea to return to Wickhurst.

The frequency of gossips had not decreased, but their blow had significantly become inconsequential. Being a secret member of Grey's had given her a different feeling of comfort. Being surrounded by men who encouraged her distinctiveness, Alice found new friends.

She met other ladies who understood her. They were wives, sisters, mothers—and even grandmothers—of other Grey's members.

Harold once commented that she was having a different glow. When once she would rather go out and hunt or ride with the gentlemen, she started to join Eva and their new friends to tea, even forming their own book club.

She finally had something to fill her days other than her horses, Harold and the gossips. The first few weeks back in Wickhurst was quite busy, most especially when Rachel arrived for a vacation.

When not with their new friends, Alice and Eva would come by Rachel's villa, but none of them talked about Eva's upcoming departure to Lettice, an estate quite far from Wickhurst, although the thought always lingered at the back of Alice's mind. She would be losing her best friend for quite a while again. Yet it was a reality she had to face. Eva seemed excited to settle back in the province for some peace and quiet.

So instead of talking about Eva's departure to Lettice, they spent their time learning the art of sewing and discussing trivial events. Or in some instances, Alice and Eva would drop subtle remarks about Theobald to Rachel, giving the lady advice on how to handle a rake, not with her innate gentleness but with the hidden monster they knew was hiding somewhere within her.

Or when they were tired of talking about Theobald, they would read letters from Pepper who was spending a long vacation at her uncle's estate.

"Oh my..." Rachel gasped, dramatically placing her hand over her chest as she read Pepper's letter.

"What?" asked Alice and Eva in unison. "Do go on, Rachel, for goodness sake!" Eva demanded.

"Downworth..." said Rachel, eyes watering. "He... he..."

"He what?" Alice's heart began to hammer in alarm.

"He traveled all the way to Pepper to propose!" Rachel burst out.

Alice and Eva sighed in relief.

"Well, he ought to have done it a long time ago," Alice commented with a shrug. "He had been dragging it for quite a long time, in my opinion."

Eva nodded in agreement.

"The bastard must have taken lessons from Harry," Alice added, rolling her eyes. "By the by, what else did she say?"

"They spend their afternoons together—"

"No, no, Rachel. Did she accept his proposal?"

Rachel blinked in confusion and scanned Pepper's letter. "No, but she did mention that they kissed behind her uncle's barn."

Eva and Alice looked at each other. "They did more than that."

Rachel looked at them, her eyes utterly innocent. "Whatever do you mean?"

"Well, you know... that thing," Eva said, waving her hand.

Rachel blinked. "What thing?"

"Have you and Theobald ever kissed?" Alice asked Rachel.

Their friend gasped, her face turning red. "N-no. It is not proper to—"

"Oh, good God," Alice said with a sigh. "I am not certain if I should be thankful he has not touched you yet, or disappointed that he had not even made attempts."