XXIV. The Legendary Grey's Fiasco

"You are awfully quiet," Theobald pointed out as they rode the carriage back to his estate.

His jaw clenched as he gritted out, "I am not quiet. I am furious."

Theobald shrugged. "This happens all the time, Harry. I am certain Alice does not mind the rumors—"

"She may not mind, yes," he said, throwing his friend a darting look, "but I do. Do you know what such scandal could do to her reputation?"

Theobald avoided his gaze. His friend looked out the window and belatedly shrugged. "Eva said Alice should have decided to leave Wickhurst sooner before the rumor blew up." He stole a glance at Harold. "She is leaving. The rumor will cease after the ton realizes that it is naught but a baseless tale by a bloody gossipmonger."

Harold's entire body tensed and he closed his eyes to keep himself calm. "And who," he said through his teeth, opening his eyes to meet Theobald's grey ones, "is this gossipmonger, if I may ask?"

Alarm crossed Theobald's eyes. "Well, I cannot be certain... you know how these gossips spread."

"Who?" he repeated, this time in a stronger tone.

"I cannot be sure," replied Theobald, avoiding his gaze. "But... well, do you remember when everyone noticed Lord Gedge in Alice's company at the Seymour ball?"

Harold took a long breath and forcefully let it out. "Yes," he bit out.

"Well, then, there you have it," said Theobald. "His new wife may not have liked the small talk that circulated the party."

"They did nothing—"

"They were together. That is all that matters to these people. That is enough for any gossip mongering leech."

Harold knocked on the roof of the carriage. It slowed down and finally stopped at the side of the road. "Your estate is nearby," he said to Theobald. "You should try walking."

Theobald narrowed his eyes at Harold. "What are you going to do, Harry?"

Fixing his friend a stern look, Harold swung the door open. "I will come get you should I need you."

*****

It was not easy to call on Lord Gedge that afternoon. The man was not in town. The butler refused to disclose his mistress' whereabouts.

Harold went home, still very much furious.

He wanted to go to Alice but he was certain she would not see him.

He waited until morning to go back to call on Lord Gedge, only to be told that he had not yet returned from his trip. The mistress was not home either.

A housemaid and a few townsends later, Harold found himself bursting into Café Royal, disturbing the quiet buzz inside. The younger women immediately straightened in their seats as he roamed his eyes around the room. The smell of coffee and tea filled the air, but the flaring of his nose was not due to that.

His shoulders hunched when he finally spotted her. She was sitting around a small table with three friends of hers, all of them in the middle of a discussion before his presence was known, and were now ogling him like the rest.

Harold stiffly turned and walked over to the woman and her friends with a tight smile on her lips. He saw alarm flicker in her eyes as he approached. She knew what she had done. And she was afraid of what he might do.

And she had every right to be afraid.

"Good day, ladies," he greeted, eyes on the young Lady Gedge. "If I may have a seat?"