IV. Too Fast, Too Soon

"Mother," Martin said, interrupting the silence in the dining room, "I heard that Willowfair is having a grand season at the moment."

Lady Vivian nodded. "So I've heard."

Martin looked around the table with a smile. "I believe it would be best for you and Lady Edwina to visit friends and get more acquainted with each other."

Lady Edwina blinked, surprised by the suggestion. "I am still in mourning, dear."

"Ah, then forgive my insensitive gesture." Martin said with a kind smile. "I was not thinking. I merely wished that you and Mother can perhaps get closer."

His tone seemed to deliver more meaning than his words, which Lady Edwina immediately understood. At first, she was quiet, obviously thinking about Martin's suggestion. "Well," she started to say, making Alice tense by each passing second for she knew that her mother would do anything to please Martin. "Now that you have suggested it, I believe it would not be deemed as bad if I attend a few small balls with Vivian."

"We cannot go to the grander ones, of course," Lady Vivian said. "People would start to talk."

Martin eagerly nodded. "Or you can visit other sights nearby. Our villa in Willowfair will be a change for Lady Edwina."

Alice cleared her throat. "Mother, we have been mourning for merely a few months. I do not think showing yourself to the ton will do you any good."

"Langworthy is undergoing several constructions at once at the moment," Martin pointed out, looking at Alice. "It will eventually cause your mother stress."

Alice squared her shoulders. From the corner of her eye, she could see Harold Everard looking at her intently, perhaps waiting for her next words. "Very well, I can go and accompany them. Eva can come along as well. She could reunite with her parents there."

"Ah, but the purpose of this vacation is for our mothers, Alice. They ought to enjoy each other's company."

"You can stay here, Alice. You cannot show yourself in this season," Lady Edwina said, giving Alice a meaningful look.

Alice suddenly felt helpless. Lord August's words did not help ease her panic either. "I will have our villa in Willowfair prepare for your arrival," he addressed his wife. And he turned to Edwina with a smile, adding, "Alice will be safe here. I shall play the part of Nicholas while you are away."

"I only had one father," Alice snapped.

"Alice!" her mother hissed. "You do not talk to your uncle that way."

Alice's jaw tightened as she muttered, "Forgive me."

August shook his head. "Nothing to forgive, my dear."

Martin clapped his hands together. "It is settled then! The two of you shall have a grand time in Willowfair!" he said, smiling at his mother and Lady Edwina. "And fret not about these ladies," he gestured his hand at both Alice and Eva, "for they shall be safe here. You can enjoy two fortnights or more in Willowfair without worry. You both deserve it."

Alice was already boiling inside. She knew why Martin was orchestrating this vacation. He wanted to isolate her so he could pursue her. However he would do that, she was not certain.

But she knew for certain this would not be good.

Her mother was eager to please Martin and Lady Vivian for the same reasons. She stole Eva a glance and her friend was looking concerned as well.

How could she escape Martin now?

*****

"That was a rather risky move," Harold told Martin later that evening as he walked toward the liquor cabinet with ease.