XII. Shackled and Sealed

Tiny Town may be part of the Town, but it enjoyed many privileges that the other equally large towns did not.

For one, it was independent.

It had its own laws and regulations, although it still had to be a part of many decisions the Town had to make. It could participate in the choosing of the next Town Leaders.

Many affluent people all over the Town believed that Tiny Town had more influence on everything. As a powerful nation by itself, it kept secrets that even the Town Leaders did not have the liberty to know. And with its large population, their votes were important for those who aspired to a Leader. A vote from Tiny Town could assure victory.

But apart from its great political power, both outside and within its walls, it was constantly receiving visitors for many other reasons. Vacation-goers flocked the town to experience leisure without suffering the consequences they may ultimately get outside Tiny Town.

Most importantly, Tiny Town was the only place to be for those who wanted to get shackled. Acquiring a marriage license was as easy as ringing for tea. Anyone could be a witness, and most importantly, consent was not necessary. Anyone's mother, father, brother or sister could raise hell and the lovers would still be wed.

Most lovers went to Tiny Town to say yes. And most often, they succeeded. A witness, known to the couple or not, would suffice.

Alice and Harold had not spent another single night out of the road. It was upon Harold's insistence that they traveled through White Rocks and through Whiteford to reach Tiny Town. Their borrowed carriage made it easier and faster that Alice was no longer able to find any means to delay their journey.

All she was able to do was hope that Martin and Eva were successful.

Tiny Town was as busy as Willowfair and Wickhurst, only larger in scale, making it harder to locate anyone, much more their friends who were inclined to be wed in haste.

Alice clearly witnessed Harold's frustration as he asked around and she secretly rejoiced. Surely, Martin and Eva were now married.

He had not said a word to her since she last woke up. It seemed that it was the safest way for them to stay alive. He was still clearly angry over her deception.

As she waited inside the carriage with a growling stomach, Alice looked out the window at the passing crowd.

Good Lord, she could never imagine herself living in such place. People and carriages swarmed the streets. There were noises everywhere. Could anyone ever have a minute of peace here?

At a far distance, she saw Harold running back toward their carriage. As he jumped inside, his face was dark, his jaw tight.

"Well? Is it the right church?" she asked. They had been to six so far.

He merely shot her a look.

And that one look was answer enough.

Her hopes were realized and she sighed in relief.

"Well? Where are they?"

His reply was not directed at her as he tapped his knuckles against the carriage roof and barked at the driver, "Stonehill Hotel! Now!" He leaned back against his seat, clearly impatient. His scowl intensified when he finally looked at her. "You dare smile! You rarely express anything with that pretty face of yours and now you smile!"

Alice was indeed smiling. She could not help it.

Martin and Eva did it.

"Thank you," she replied.