III. Unexpected Unwanted Attention

Alice had asked for their breakfast to be served in her bedchamber, asking her maid to announce that she was feeling out of the weather that morning but she would be fine by luncheon. Her mother sent a secret note telling Alice to be at her best before luncheon as Martin had been asking after her all throughout breakfast and it was a good sign.

She sighed as she paced the room, brows furrowed.

Eva followed her movement with amusement. "I have never seen you so worried since my aunt tried to climb over your horse last summer."

"I had all the reason to be worried for my horse, Eva," she murmured. "And I have more reasons to feel the same now."

"Why? Do you think you will fall for his charms? I heard he can be rather charming."

She shook her head and faced her friend. "I am more worried he would fall hard for me."

Eva burst out laughing, not because Alice made a joke, but because her face told she meant what she said. "Any man would fall hard for you—if they can see past your utterly blank façade."

Alice sighed and checked the time. "We merely have one hour left before luncheon. Do you think he would make a move?"

Her friend rolled her eyes. "If he does, do you plan for us to stay inside this room the entire day and the day after? Truly, Alice, you ought to face this head-on."

She was about to shake her head when a knock came to her door and her maid, Janet, silently entered. "My lady, Lord Surley has requested for your presence in the parlor."

Alice turned to Eva. "He might take it as a challenge should I make it hard for him, yes?" Eva nodded. "If I say I am still feeling unwell, he would start to think I am trying to avoid him." This time, Janet and Eva nodded in agreement. "I should go."

"Yes," Eva and Janet chorused.

"I heard a short part of his conversation earlier with Lord Kenward," Janet whispered conspiratorially, making Eva and Alice jump closer.

"What were they talking about?" asked Eva.

"Well," Janet said, clearing her throat, "Lord Kenward asked how Lord Surley plans to woo you, my lady."

"And?" Alice and Eva asked in unison.

"Lord Surley said it would be easy, so long as Lady Edwina supports the marriage. He said that he would not have to do anything else."

Alice gasped but said nothing as she whirled around in anger. She strode toward the door.

"You are going?" Eva asked.

"Yes," she said, squaring her shoulders. "And you are to interrupt us in precisely," she checked the time once again, "fifteen minutes."

"What?"

"Come up with something smart," Alice said to her friend before she pulled the door open and walked out.

By the time she reached the parlor, she was still enraged. Oh, the gall of this man to think she would be this easy!

Her sudden entrance into the parlor must have startled Marty, causing him to jump from the settee. "Alice!" he almost shouted in greeting.

"Martin," she muttered under her breath, striding fast toward the chair. "May I inquire why you suddenly requested for me?" She cleared her throat. "As you should be aware, I was not feeling well this morning."

Martin merely smiled as though he knew better. Alice looked around and realized they were alone. "Pardon my insensitive gesture. But since you are here, why don't we ring for tea?"