XVII. Candidates

His question triggered something inside Alice, one that wanted to inflict pain so excruciating he would wish for death.

Despite her initial want to hurt him for his thoughtless question, she chose to believe that he had nothing better to say to her after months of being apart with no communication at all. Perhaps he was at a loss at how to approach her. It would support the reason why he had been standing behind her for quite some time before taking the courage to come near.

As she lingered on that thought, Alice began to feel the anger subside and the feeling of satisfaction slowly emerging. Of course she was satisfied she was not the only one feeling like a coward. He was even more of a coward than her, having no control over his tongue. And the thought that she was the cause of it was immensely satisfying indeed.

Without turning to face him, for she was not yet ready to do so, Alice said, "Martin and Eva are truly happy, despite what you first thought. Why would I even entertain thoughts of regret?" When he did not make a quick reply, Alice finally turned to face him. She momentarily lost track of her thoughts as his emerald green eyes met hers and everything—literally every bloody defense she had built up in months—crumbled to ashes. But she could not allow him to see through her, she thought as she forced one corner of her mouth to lift into a smile. "And you, my lord?"

He blinked in confusion when she did not add anything more to her question. Ah, he was truly handsome. "Me?"

Alice nodded. "Yes, you. Have you had any?"

"Any what?"

"Regrets," she provided matter-of-factly, her gaze strong and challenging, holding his prisoner.

His gaze wavered for a moment. "Regret? I have many, my lady."

She nodded and turned away. He must probably be dying to know what she was thinking, but there was no way she would allow him the luxury. "Too bad, then," was all she said. "You must have lived your life poorly to have numerous ones."

Harold moved to face the same direction as she and they stood side by side to watch the silent garden ahead. "I meant to ask why you are here."

"You must think I do not belong here. Well, I have to agree."

"No, that is not what I meant. You know that."

Of course, she bitterly thought. He thought highly of her, did he not? "I have no choice but to join the season. As you very well know, I have to."

From the corner of her eye, she saw him turn his head to look at her. "I was not asking why you are hunting for a husband here either."

Alice frowned, suddenly confused. She turned to look at him. "Then what do you mean, my lord?"

His eyes left hers and he looked her up and down as though assessing her condition. "You were on an accident."

Alice's jaw tightened as she did not know what to say. She blinked. She was actually surprised with the concern she heard in his voice. "I was."

His eyes lingered longer on hers. Alice recognized the desire, but she was getting used to it. She knew he would do nothing to entertain whatever he felt for her. His mind was already made up. And she thought so was hers.

He shook his head in disbelief and turned to face the garden again. He cleared his throat and asked, "Have you sustained any injury?"

"If I did, I already recovered."

"I ought to laugh, you know."

"Why so?"

"You mocked me when I fell off Benjamin."