XV. Invitations

It had been precisely five months and three days since Alice saw Eva climb into a carriage and drove away from Alice, her parents and everything else they knew.

And it had been precisely five months and two days since Alice decided she ought to start thinking of what to do next. Seriously think about it.

Langworthy was still her home, but it would not forever be. Lady Vivian may insist upon Edwina that they could stay as long as they wanted, but they all knew that things were starting to change. Her father's old study was now almost empty of his personal artifacts. The drawing room now hung a new painting of the Kenward family. There were even new workers hanging around the estate.

The new lord and lady of Langworthy may want them now, but the same could not be said in the next years to come. There would be other heirs, with Martin as one of them, and Alice could not even imagine herself living under the graces of anyone, family or not.

She and her mother ought to find a place of their own if they wanted to live independently. Alice should consider marriage if she wished for a comfortable life for Edwina and herself. But if marriage would not suit her, there was another plan.

She would start her own business. She would breed thoroughbreds and live sufficiently in a farm. It would be far lesser than the life they were living now, but they would not be dependent on anyone.

Her plans were not shared with anyone, especially her mother. Edwina was still hoping that Alice would land herself a husband this season, always stating that this might be Alice's last chance.

And she may be correct.

Every year, more and more younger ladies came out, each one more beautiful and charming than the other. Alice, having gained the famous reputation as Lady Ice amongst her batch of ladies who came out the same year as she, would surely not stand a chance with a lord.

She never told her mother, but she believed that even an untitled gentleman would not consider her, unless he would be ignorant of Alice's reputation. But that was highly unlikely because even if that were the case, Alice would still want for more from a man. And no man had come closer to what she wanted and needed.

Except one, of course. But he was not considered a prospect.

Alice exited the stables and entered the manor through the back entrance, her mind in constant battle as to what to expect this season. Janet, her chambermaid, met her to taking her dirty gloves, saying, "I do not understand why you have to be the one to wash them horses, milady."

"Are there any posts for me?" she asked instead, ignoring the woman's statement.

"In the parlor, my lady," Winson replied. "I will send for tea."

Alice nodded and went straight to the parlor, avoiding any chance of being seen by either her mother or Lady Vivian. She had no time to go out for gown fittings today. She had to return to the stables before nightfall and see to Camel's condition.

Both of them had been on a small accident recently, which caused a panic around the estate. Alice nearly broke a leg, but was lucky enough to land safely. Camel, on the other hand, fell to his side and showed signs of weakness for a few weeks, but was now recovering at a steady speed.

A small smile curved the corner of her lips when she found the one letter sitting by the settee. She had been anticipating a word from Eva since two days ago.

In the quiet of the room, Alice hastily opened the letter and read.

My dearest Alice,

I am pleased to hear that Camel is recovering well after your accident.