XI. Angry Tardy

Sebastian was not bad-looking at all. Darkhair, stark black eyes and perfectly sculpted jaw would have been enough tomake a woman be lost in her trail of thoughts. But he was also tall and builtthat his presence demanded attention.

No, he was, as a matter-of-fact, amongst the men who could make a woman swoon by looks alone.

But Alice knew too well what he was around women and what he wanted to do with them. Them was the word for he was not one who could settle for one.

"Well, well, well...." Sebastian said with a wicked grin as he sashayed toward Alice. With one glance, he dismissed the maid who rushed out of sight without a word. "What are you doing here, Alice?"

"I needed to relieve my bladder," she answered truthfully. She turned to walk away, saying, "And now I am leaving."

Sebastian's hand, the one with the bad finger, closed around her upper arm. Alice fought hard to control her anger. The man infuriated her so.

Coming to Henry House was a bad idea. Had she not told Harold?

"Not so fast, my lady," Sebastian said, pulling Alice away from the staircase and to a corner. "We are yet to finish a business, you and I."

She did not mind that he was hurting her, but she did not like that he pulled her. With a stingy look in her eyes, she told him, "Let go of me, my lord."

Sebastian pulled her roughly against his chest and hissed in her ear, "I have a score to settle with you, my lady." He tightened his hold when Alice tried to move. "I do not know what brought you here, but I am glad you are here. I have been waiting to have you alone for quite some time. You have missed quite a few balls. Were you hiding from me?"

"No, Sebastian," she hissed back, pushing her hands against his chest, but he would not budge.

"You know what you did to me, yes?"

"Yes, and I would gladly do it again if you do not let me go at once."

He chuckled against her ear, pressing his hips against hers, trapping her against the wall. "Do you not miss me at all? Hmm?"

Alice gritted her teeth as she felt his tongue trace the lobe of her ear. "You are a terrible flirt, Sebastian."

He stiffened against her. "What did you say?"

"She said you are a terrible flirt, my lord."

Never had Alice felt such relief to hear Harold's voice.

"Now, if you would please remove your filthy hands off her, I would consider a peaceful retreat from your estate," Harold's cold, authoritative voice said behind Sebastian.

Sebastian gave Alice's arm one last hard squeeze before he stepped away from her to face Harold. "Harold!" Sebastian greeted with mock surprise. "I was not aware you are with her."

Alice struggled to right herself, but when she saw the fury in Harold's eyes, she stood frozen.

Harold ignored Sebastian, walking straight toward her. "Are you all right?" he asked, tone angry.

She lifted her chin and allowed a small nod.

He grabbed her hand and pulled her toward the staircase and away from Sebastian.

"Be very grateful, Sebastian," Harold said over his shoulder, "for I saved you another finger."

"Or toe," Alice murmured beside him, voice shaking as her anger returned. "I was aiming for his toes."

"Shut up, Alice. I am as much angry at you as I am at that bastard," he hissed as they descended down the stairs. "Go straight outside. The carriage is waiting."