XIV. The Next Time

The arrival of Lady Vivian and Lady Edwina was just as everyone had expected.

It was filled with shrilling outcry in the private confines of their chambers, Vivian with her son and Edwina with her daughter, done so as not to hurt Eva's feelings.

Alice was not certain how Martin was fairing with Lady Vivian, but she was suffering with her mother's embarrassing tears of self-pity.

"We are not going to be homeless, Mother, if that is your concern," Alice wryly remarked.

Her mother shook her head. "No, you do not understand, Alice! How could you have let it happen! Have you even considered what the Whitlocks would say about us? They entrusted their daughter to us and the next thing they know, she had gone off to Tiny Town!"

"Is that truly your concern, Mother?"

"Of course!"

Alice was not so sure. "I could not have stopped them. You ought to have witnessed how the two of them were inseparable since they discovered they are attracted to each other."

Her mother's tears suddenly stopped to give her an inquiring look. "And when did it start? Did it start before Vivian and I went away?"

Alice sighed. "Why do you think Martin suggested that you go on a vacation with his mother?"

Lady Edwina looked mortified.

"Now, if you can collect yourself, I would like to enjoy tea in the parlor."

"No, you are not, young lady. Not until I am done with you?" Her mother's stern voice stopped her.

Alice frowned. "Are you going to blame me?"

"No! Why would I—"

"Then are you going to sympathize with my ill fate in the marriage mart? Because I would not have none of it. Martin and I was never a match from the very start."

"How could you say that—"

"Then I shall enjoy my tea. We are done talking about this matter. I am happy for Eva and Martin and so should everyone else."

Her mother's shoulders sagged as she dramatically sighed. "You care much more for your friend's future than yours."

"As a matter-of-fact, it is the total opposite, Mother. I care too much for my future that I would rather end up a spinster than be trapped in a marriage far less superior than the one you had with father."

Her statement rendered her mother speechless and the woman's eyes were again filled with tears, this time genuine, at the reminder of her husband.

"Tea?" Alice inquired with a small smile.

Lady Edwina sighed and wiped her tears. Shaking her head, she murmured, "What would I do with you, Alice, dear?"

Alice had no answer. She was not sure with the answer either.

*****

Harold decided that the perfect way to avoid the drama was not to be in the midst of it.

As soon as Lady Edwina and Lady Vivian arrived, he immediately announced his intention to go to Henry House to retrieve Alice's horses.

Martin, who had been berated for hours by his mother, thought it best to come along.

His wife suggested the idea, saying she would find it easier to deal with Lady Vivian if the source of the woman's anger was gone for a day or two.

Harold had not spoken to Alice in private again since their last conversation for it was apparent that she had to deal with more important things. And she certainly did not find it necessary to spend a single moment alone with him again.