V. Lovers

Alice was alone in the garden, reading a book with a cup of tea.

It had been a quiet morning.

As a matter-of-fact, she thought it was a blissful day.

Eva was with Martin at the moment and it was no longer even being kept a secret. Martin had ceased to pretend he was wooing Alice after Eva told him Alice knew everything. 

Two days had past and since then, Martin seemed to have completely forgotten about everyone else but Eva.

She was concerned and worried for her friend, of course, but she was also aware that Eva was a wise woman. Surely, her friend would not do something drastic.

This was fun for Eva. Her friend had never had fun even since she debuted. Her suitors were all disappointments in the past. And it was only now that Alice witnessed Eva actually enjoying a man's company.

As to Martin, he ought to have been warned by Harold. If he ever hurt Eva in any way, Alice would be the first to face him.

"What are you doing here?" Harold asked, rushing into the garden with a frown.

Alice looked up and tilted her head to the side, witnessing a different look on his face for the first time. He was irate. And it was directed at her.

With barely any movement on her face, Alice asked back, "And why should I even bother answering such a stupid question, my lord? As you can clearly see, I am reading."

He clicked his tongue impatiently and rephrased his question. "Why are you not looking for them? They could be anywhere in the estate doing things they ought not to."

Alice's gaze locked with his as she sighed. "I did not realize you needed help keeping them apart."

"What?"

She tore her gaze away from him. "If you truly wish to keep them from each other's company, likeyou have been unsuccessfully doing for two days now, do so on your own. Do not bother a lady who is enjoying a quiet morning in the garden."

"This is your estate. You know better where—"

"Pardon, my lord, but this is no longer my estate. I care not where people situate themselves in this household."

His eyes widened. "Are you truly saying that you care not what my friend could do to yours? I am telling you, my lady, that a man is capable of many things where passion is concerned."

"I have had a talk with Eva. She knows what she is doing."

Harold shook his head in what seemed like amazement and disbelief. "They could be—"

"Mating?"

He blinked in surprise. "I was not going to state it in such way."

Alice bit her lower lip as she considered that possible situation. And when she looked up to meet his gaze again, she said, "Well, that is a possibility. I will have to ask Eva later."

Harold gasped incredulously. "You are unbelievable."

"My mother thinks as well. All the time, actually," she added before taking a sip of her tea. She sighed and looked up at him once more, raising her brows. "Is there anything else?"

It took a while before he blinked again and uttered, "Well, as a matter-of-fact, yes. They could be doing what lovers filled with passion do—"

"Mating."

He threw her another look of disbelief before he continued, "—and do you know where it might lead? She might be carrying his babe soon and I know Martin quite too well." He lifted his finger to make his point. "He will not marry her because he will realize he made a mistake. Your friend will be carrying his bastard."