VI. Disappearing Act

Harold found Alice in the drawing room that night, still reading the same book from earlier.

This time, despite the irritation, he was rather calm as he did not want to be outwitted once again.

"Good evening, my lady," he greeted, striding into the room and without waiting to be offered a seat he took the chair opposite hers, crossed his leg over the other and rested his chin on his hand.

If she flinched at his sudden entrance, she did not show it.

Good lord! The woman was very good at keeping her composure at its best!

"Whyever are you here, my lord?" she murmured, lips barely moving, eyes glued to her book.

Harold let a few seconds pass by, just looking at her reading. "You told me earlier that you did not know where to find Martin and Eva."

"You assumed I did not know," she said, throwing him a look. "You found them in the stables?"

"Yes."

"Were they in disarray?"

"No, but—"

"Well, then, your worry has not yet happened."

"Not yet happened. You said it, not me," he pointed out.

"Well, it would lead to the mating were have been talking about if you prove to be unsuccessful in keeping them apart."

"Without your help, thank you."

"You are welcome," she murmured back.

He sighed and leaned back into the chair, shifting his legs. "You still lied to me."

"Even if I did, I do not believe you have gained enough of my respect to honor you with my honesty." She finally took a longer moment to look at him, her blue eyes looking squarely at him, unwavering and confident. "And I rarely lie, my lord."

"You still lied to me."

"I said I rarely lie," she retorted. "I did not say I do not do it." Her gaze hardened. "And I did not lie earlier. You assumed I did not know where to find them. And why does it matter to you if I lied?"

"Because it irritates me to know that I am the only person here concerned about your friend and mine. Whatever they are doing is a serious matter."

"Which makes them happy. Why would you deprive them of that?"

"Because it is not practical."

"Then what would you consider practical?"

"Martin marrying you, of course."

She scoffed and chuckled. "That will be terrible." She closed her book and stood. "I should relocate myself. It seems I can no longer enjoy any private moment in this room. Good day, my lord."

"Do not go looking for me if something untoward happens, my lady."

"You can expect that," he heard her say as she left.

Harold growled as she gently closed the door behind her.

He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration.

He could feel it. Something was about to happen.

He should just leave and let Martin ruin his life.

*****

Alice was frowning at her mother's letter that night after supper.

"What is it?" Eva asked as she was changing into her nightgown.