VIII. On the Way to Dartridge

The ride was as slow as Harold's breathing.

He did not want to make any sound for he wanted to be as invisible as possible.

It was humiliating.

In fact, it was even worse than that. Earlier, after pulling him up from the ground with one strong hand, she guided his horse back to him and returned to hers as though she simply happened to drop something and picked it up.

"Well, are we not going?" she asked then after mounting her horse, looking down at him with haughtiness.

Harold struggled to return to his senses and climbed back on his horse.

And now, she was guiding him out of the forest as though she had been through this road too many times.

Having not said a word since she picked him up, Harold had nothing but the stillness around him for comfort.

But he would not succumb to it for too long. He glared at Alice's erect back as he followed behind, summoning the courage to act nonchalant. Anyone could fall off their horse anytime. He landed perfectly, in fact, not sustaining any injury. If it was anyone else, they would have been left crippled.

He was a master rider. Master riders could fall off their horses as well.

He cleared his throat.

He cleared it again when she did not flinch.

"We are near the edge of the forest, fret not," she spoke without turning her head. "You have ventured to the wrong direction. Unless, of course, you intended to do so."

Harold's jaw tightened. "The horse—your horse—would not follow my orders."

"Ah, well, he is wise to know an unwise decision when he sees it."

"Are we going to argue once again, my lady?" he nearly growled.

"I am very much trying not to." Her head finally turned and she looked over her shoulder to add, "Are you?"

Through gritted teeth, Harold replied, "I would hate to do so."

She allowed a satisfied nod and turned her head back on the road again. "I shall escort you to Tiny Town."

His brows arched high in surprise. "Truly?" he asked, tone filled with suspicion. "Humor me, my lady. Why do I find that hard to believe?"

"You are a guest," she said, suddenly stopping her horse. She then guided it around to face him. Her face was as unreadable in the darkness as it was in the light. "And I have the responsibility to make certain that you do not get yourself into trouble. Martin ought to be doing this job, but since he is the one you are running after to, it could not be helped. The responsibility falls unto me."

Harold chuckled wryly. "In case you have not noticed, my lady, but I am a man. I can very well find my way to Tiny Town without help."

"Ah, yes, very much like how you could handle a horse on your own without falling." He already had his mouth open to throw something else when she loudly sighed and added, "But we cannot argue at the moment. I am certain you are feeling rather sore after that fall."

Harold glared at her back. He imagined grabbing her neck from behind and snapping it with both hands. She irritated him so. Why was he fascinated with her in the first place? She surely could make a man's blood boil with her quick wit.

"And why would you want to escort me to Tiny Town. Was it not you who insisted that I leave them alone?" Harold found himself asking instead.

"I have changed my mind."