XXVII. Vows to the Future

Tiny Town was as they had left it many months ago, Alice commented as they drove around the town to find her a dress.

"But not us," Harold said, taking her hand in his. "We are different now."

Alice narrowed her eyes at him. "You are being too sentimental, Harry. Of course, we are the same people. The only difference now is that you are less... unwise, should I say?"

Harold dramatically sighed. "When will you be able to let me forget that I had been stupid?"

"Until I prove to you that I can bear you five children."

"Five? Will that not be too much for you?"

"There are people who bore more than eight, Harry, ten even."

Harold cleared his throat, shifting in his seat uncomfortably. "All I am saying, darling, is that we do not have to completely satisfy my father. One or two will be enough for the old man."

Alice sighed as she looked out the window. "I am talking more about my satisfaction."

"You want a lot?"

"Yes, of course. My life has been quite lonely being an only child. Can you not say the same?"

"Well, of course, but—I do not know if we are up to the challenge."

Alice blinked as she realized what he meant. "Oh."

"Oh what?"

"You might be correct. We do not know how to deal with children."

"I only had but a few friends and I did not have to take care of them," said Harold.

"The closest to taking care of a child for me was when I assisted in the delivery of a foal."

Harold gave her an incredulous look. "You will not raise our children like horses."

"I did not say I will. Although a whip might come in handy if they prove to be difficult."

"No one will be hurting anyone." Harold sighed. "We can always hire a nanny."

"Nannies," corrected Alice. "We will need more for the children."

Harold grimaced. "Why don't we talk about the first child first, darling? We can always add more nannies if need be."

"Why don't we talk about getting shackled first? Then we can talk about nannies."

Harold nodded. "Yes, yes, of course. How is my face?" he asked.

"Still very much swollen," Alice replied, looking staring at it. "But I will still marry it."

Harold chuckled and planted a loud kiss on her mouth. "You never said you love me, but now I believe you do."

"Silly, I do not have to say it."

"But you have to."

"Do you need it?"

He blinked, astounded by her innocent question. "I might."

She looked him in the eye for a few seconds without a word.

"Are you assessing whether you love me or not?"

"Well, I do love you. I am simply assessing how much."

His eyes widened in disbelief but then he saw the small twitch of her lips. "You are jesting."

Alice smiled at him. "Of course." She leaned toward him and gave his lips a light kiss. "And I do love you, silly."

Harold leaned back against his seat with a satisfied smile.