X. By the River

She expected him to push her away, but he did not. As a matter of fact, he stiffened.

He remained unmoving for a few seconds, which was very embarrassing. She felt suddenly stupid that she decided she ought to order him back to his room and never be seen by him again. He could go on to Tiny Town on his own while she rode her horse back home, never to be discovered by anyone until she died.

Alice pulled her head back, peeling her lips away from his. And just as when she was about to step away, his hand that had been holding hers tightened and pulled. She landed against his chest and as she opened her mouth to make an excuse as to how her lips accidentally landed on his, his mouth covered hers.

He was no longer immobile as he let go of her hand and wrapped his arms around her, crushing her against him even more. His mouth, which had been unresponsive, was now devouring hers, his tongue delving into her mouth, tasting hers.

She was overwhelmed for everything was new to her. But at the same time, the act was natural it was almost familiar. Odd, really, that she knew how to do it when she had never done so before.

Her hands crawled up his shoulders, slid behind his neck and higher to clasp his hair. She stood on her toes, pressing her hips against his, not entirely sure what she wanted or how they could possibly proceed.

Was there more?

Of course, there was more. She knew that. But would it be even more beautiful than this?

Alice was already feeling warm, but why was she turning too hot?

This was not definitely normal, she thought in passing as Harold's hand slid down to her lower back, his hips grinding against hers until she felt the sign of his arousal.

One of them had to stop and as though he read her thoughts, he gently pulled away and stood an arm's length away from her.

As they caught their breath, their eyes met.

Neither of them looked foxed, but they had to act like it if they wanted to save themselves from the awkward tension.

Alice closed her eyes and murmured, "I feel quite dizzy."

"I shall retire," she heard him say. He cleared his throat and when she opened her eyes, he was already on his way to the door. But then he stopped and turned.

Alice swallowed.

He looked at her and asked, "Can I bring the wine?"

Fixing her face to be very unreadable, she shook her head. "No."

He gave her a curt nod. "Good night."

Alice locked the door after he closed it and cursed under her breath.

What had they done?

Taking a long breath, she turned and walked back to the wine and drank straight from the bottle. Gulping the liquid down and feeling the warmth it brought as it traveled down her throat, Alice winced.

Why did she have to be devastated?

She was not married.

He was not married.

They committed no sin.

It was merely a kiss.

She took another gulp of wine and sashayed to bed.

It was merely a kiss.

And a very good one at that.

*****