XVI. The Arrival

Alice was already exhausted by the time they reached Wickhurst.

Two days traveling on the road with her mother and Lady Vivian was no jesting matter. They had one stop at a small village to rest and still she felt the two ladies had stolen all her energy from her simply by being in the same carriage as them.

They never stopped talking and sharing stories. They may get tired of one subject, but there would be more countless to replace it.

At one time, they even talked about duties in bed. Alice was pretending to be asleep and she nearly fell off her seat when both women admitted, in hushed tones, that they thought they enjoyed making love more than their husbands did in some occasions.

She would never get the picture out of her head, mayhap never in this lifetime. Never had she imagined her mother to disclose such intimate information to anyone. But then, maybe women always did. Just not with their daughters.

After two days, Alice was ready for some quiet moment alone although she was unsure how to do so since Wickhurst was not quiet at all. Even as they entered Martin's villa, the sounds of carriages outside were only muffled.

After formally greeting Lady Edwina and her mother-in-law, Eva squealed with excitement upon seeing Alice, enveloping her in a tight embrace the moment she could.

"I missed you terribly," Eva murmured to Alice, sniffing and wiping her tears, laughing at herself.

"Come now, darling," said Martin behind his wife with a smile, "we do not want them to think you hate the married life."

"Oh, no, of course not—"

"I am jesting, darling," said Martin, kissing the top of his wife's head before he turned to his mother to say, "Tea is ready in the parlor."

Lady Vivian and Edwina were guided to the parlor by Martin while Eva and Alice fell behind, talking in low voices.

"This house feels amazing, Eva," Alice said, looking about. It was not as narrow as the villas she and her parents would rent whenever they were in Wickhurst. "Will the noises from outside be heard upstairs, though?"

"Martin knew I am not used to close spaces, thus he arranged for the other parlor to be removed." Her friend was smiling broadly at her. "And yes, fret not, because the noises will disappear upstairs."

"Thank goodness. And who would need two parlors in Wickhurst?"

Eva shrugged. "The Everards?" She laughed when Alice merely frowned. "You ought to have seen my face when Martin and I were invited in the Everard manor by his father. The place was humongous for one old man to live in."

Alice made no comment. What else was she to say?

"By the by, you must be tired."

"You have not the faintest idea, Eva," Alice replied with a loud sigh. "But I can suffer a cup of tea before I fall on my face and start to snore."

"Then we must hurry along and get through tea time as quickly as we can. We do not want you tired and weary for your entire season."

"I will be dead by the time this season ends."

Eva grabbed her hand and squeezed it with a light chuckle. "I missed you, Alice. I have not been around many unpredictable female companions of late. You are a breath of fresh air." As they entered the parlor, Eva added in a whisper, "Fret not. I shall give you your space as much as you want to. Simply be patient until they leave for Willowfair."

*****

Alice was on her way to the breakfast room the next day when she overheard her mother's word speaking.