XXIII. Hunting Friends and Fiends

To Harold's disappointment, the hunting game was crowded.

There were just too many spectators, most of them unmarried women and their chaperones, all hungrily scanning the grounds for their prey. The hunters all looked as equally disappointed and eager for the game to start, but that was not happening soon because Alice and Pepper were still arguing with the game master, insisting that they would not hold the committee responsible if they ended up with scratches or worse, dead.

Harold stayed far away, idly standing with Eva and Theobald with his own rifle in hand. Behind them, Brandon was pacing, muttering to himself.

Thoebald snickered when Alice placed her hands on her waist and stepped closer, her words unheard but obviously alarming as the game master took a step back, nodding vigorously.

"Truly, I do not see why they have to join! It is preposterous! What are they trying to prove?" a woman asked aloud. "And look at what they are wearing! One could picture their legs in those breeches! Goodness gracious!"

Harold looked over her shoulder but could not spot whoever spoke for most women spectators had the same condemning looks on their faces.

"Lady Alice and Lady Pepper are simply trying to prove they can handle something bigger than a needle!" Harold spoke loudly.

Someone scoffed and he felt Eva's hand on his arm, stopping him before he started another argument apart from the one Alice and Pepper were already in.

"She is something, is she not?" asked Theobald as Alice turned with a satisfied look on her face, walking back toward them, Pepper close behind.

"I might just shoot her first so she does not have to see through the end of the game," Harold growled under his breath.

Eustace laughed, grabbing his own rifle as the game master cleared his throat and announced that the game shall commence in a short while.

Alice and Pepper reached them. "Well, give me my rifle," she told Harold. "You did not throw it away, did you?"

Harold gave her a mocking smile. "I would love to do that, wouldn't I? But no, my lady, I would not want to die early," he replied, revealing the rifle behind him.

She grabbed it and cracked it open to see the bullet inside.

"Please do be careful, Alice," Eva said and Alice merely nodded.

Harold slightly flinched when she snapped her rifle close again as if she had been doing it her entire life.

Theobald saw it as well and looked incredibly awed. Alice turned and walked back to the game master with the other hunters. Pepper was having an argument with Brandon who was not giving him her rifle. Theobald scooted near Harold. "I would not be surprised if she comes out of the forest dragging a bloody bear and the game would be over."

A bear was the biggest animal they could hunt in this forest. Anyone who caught one would be the winner.

Harold made no comment and strode away to follow Alice. If she wanted a bear, he would find it for her if that would make her end the bloody game.

*****

"I think I should go deeper," Pepper whispered to Alice. The two of them were on the ground, looking through the lens of their rifle.

Alice looked over her shoulder. No one was about. Pepper was right. They needed to go deeper if they wanted something larger than a hare. She nodded and the two of them stood, crouched to the waist.

The path was getting uneven but the giant holes above them gave enough light to see. The ground was also soft. It had probably been raining.

Every now and then, sounds of gunshot echoed in the air, but both women were focused on the hunt to bother to flinch.