"Sure, if you want a rematch. But since I've been trained by the master herself, what makes you so confident I won't win?"

"Oh, I'm counting on you winning," she winks at me, and I'm thrown totally off guard.

"Then let's do this, shall we?" I say and mimic her opening stance, knees bent, arms loose by my side. Glancing at Hamilton, I see him frown. He seems to want this as little as I do. But his hands are tied against tradition; his rank forbidding him from questioning the ancient laws of dominance.

I swallow back the exhaustion I feel and school my face to be as expressionless as possible. A surge of confidence infuses every cell as I wait for the first move.

I've trained and sparred against so many of these strong warriors.
I've fought a rogue and killed him.
This is just a simple challenge, a display of strength and prowess.
I can do this.

Her fist comes towards me, but it's a diversion from her knee which angles up towards my chest. It would knock the wind from me but I sidestep, rotating my body and leaping into a kick. I barely graze the back of her legs, before the Beta female spins in time to cut her palm upwards and slam it into my chin.

With rattling teeth, I step back but regain my footing. This is nothing new. We've done this dance numerous times before, I just need to keep a level head and outwit her at her own game. She has a weakness somewhere, I'm just still trying to figure it out.

We keep going like this for the next few minutes, drawing cheers from the crowd and some boos. I get the impression that most are on Harlow's side, but this doesn't surprise me.

Catching Hendrik's eyes, I see in them friendly encouragement, but in that moment's lack of concentration, Harlow gets in a hit and I stumble to my knees.

"What's the matter, Ella Bella? Getting a little tired?" She taunts even as I spring back up and lunch myself at her. Leaping out of the way like a sure-footed fox, she spins back and hits me again in the stomach.

I gasp and double over, but I have enough strength to grab her arm and twist it behind her back.

"I'm just getting warmed up," I whisper in her ear, then shove her down. A few cheers are flung from the crowd around us, but more cries of encouragement for Harlow are repeated in our ears.

Wiping the sweat from my eyes, I wait until she rises before pushing myself into her midsection, wrapping my arms around her waist and tackling her to the ground. We roll a couple times, Harlow clawing at me to let her go, but I hold on and don't even notice the gathered wolves leaping out of our way.

"You really think you have what it takes?" she hisses and pushes me down, straddling my legs and pinning me between her thighs. "A scrawny pup without even any Beta blood?" Whispering down low by my ear, I feel her breath skate across my face, and I shiver at her tone that has turned sour. "I won't ever allow you to win."

I hear gasps drawn from the crowd. They now know I'm not even the daughter of a Beta.

"That's where you're wrong," I throw my body to the side and crawl out from under her. She growls and extends her claws, and I do the same. "It's no longer up to you who wins or loses today. I can finally fight for myself. No matter where I came from, or who my parents truly are, I have the will and strength to win this."

And I lunge at her, aiming for her stomach and retracting my claws at the last second. This is, after all, just a play fight. Neither of us is looking to actually draw blood.

At least, that's what I'm praying for.

"Is that so?" Her tone mocks me, laughs at me. "Then show me your best, Ari." And she leaps into a cartwheel, reaching out and slamming into me before she returns to her feet. My head thumps against the ground, exposing my neck, and I stifle a cry from the compounded pain. She is ripping into me. Her claws cutting through my skin and drawing blood.