Chapter 6: Javier Fernandez

Start from the beginning

After a while, I created a schedule for him. "If you need information about your schedule. Please come to me so that I can make adjustments for you. Am I clear?" I told him. He gave me a nod. "Of course, I won't be here at certain times. I am a university student after all," I told him and got up from my seat.

He raised an eyebrow. "How old are you?" he asked curiously. "Old enough to be your manager," I told him and opened the door of my office. "See you tomorrow. Adios," I told him. He gave me a smile and walked out.

"He better not be late."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next day...........

{Where is he?}

I was on the ice ready to go but, Javier hadn't showed up. It was five minutes past his schedule time. I had seen him go into the locker room but, he hadn't come out yet. Tracy and Brian walked towards me.

"Where is he?" Brian asked me. He didn't look very happy. "He's probably in the locker room," I told him. Next thing we knew, Javier came out of the locker room with his cup of coffee and his ski jacket on. "You serious?" I was amazed. I did give him fair warning.

Javier set his coffee down and took his ski jacket off. Brian walked up to him. "Javier. I'm sure Aya told her about how strict I am about time," he told him. Javier looked at him. "Um...yes sir. It won't happen again," he told him.

"Get onto the ice and warm up," Brian instructed him. Javier got onto the ice and started to skate around the rink. I watched very carefully. Javier was out of shape and not organized at all. Honestly, he seemed like a random person.

I skated over to Brian. "He seemed to be out of shape," I told him. "I see you get that too," Brian told me. I gave him a nod. I had very good eye at things. Nobody could lie to me because I could see through them. I was very observant. As Javier started to skate, I could tell that he was a natural. {I think he could go all the way.}

After a while, he started to do jumps. "Uh...Javier. Don't do jumps for now," I told him. "Why?" he asked curiously. "You need to learn control," I told him. He didn't look to impressed. Brian and Tracy started to train him on the basics.

Javier and I would skate together. He was exhausted on the first day. "Alright. See you tomorrow," he told him. We got off the ice. Javier was really out of breath. I went to the mini fridge and got him a cup of my homemade energy drink.

"Here. This will help," I told him. He gave me a smile and took a cup. "Gracias," he thanked me and drank. I gave him a smile and took a sip of my water.

First day of training went alright.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weeks turned into months. Javier had been getting better. We had to make sure that he came to the rink on time. At times, Brian would kick his own skates of the wooden walls of the rink. He even created a hole.

Recently, Javier started to do his jumps. In the beginning, the changes in his skating caused him to fall on many of his jumps. Once he learned control, he was able to land his jumps more consistently. He even started to jump quadruples.

Javier and I had gotten really close and he relied on me alot even outside the rink. On occasion, I would visit him to see if he was alright since he was living in Toronto by himself. Brian did the same too. This gave Javier's family peace of mind. They thanked me many times.