Chapter 6: Javier Fernandez

Start from the beginning

At the corner of my eyes, I saw someone approaching me. He had on a grey hoodie and black sports pants. Also, he had a duffle bag with him. Next thing I knew, he approached me with a small smile. "Hola," he said to me.

{Don't tell me.}

"Um...hello," I greeted with uneasiness in my voice. "Do you happen to know if Brian Orser is here today. I'm suppose to start training here under him," he explained to me with his Spanish accent. I was really surprised that he even showed up. It was really late to start training for a new season.

"Yes. He's here. I'll bring you to him," I said and escorted him to Brian's office. "I hope you realize that you came quite late. Brian usually start training skaters in June so that the skaters would have time to perfect their programs for the new season," I told him.

He just shrugged his shoulders. "I thought that it was too early to be honest," he told me. {Early? Really?} Once at Brian's office, I knocked on the door and peaked my head inside the office. "Brian. I think your new skater is here," I told him. Brian closed his file and looked at me with a serious face.

"Bring him in," he said. I opened the door wider to allow the new skater to go in first but, he gestured me to go into the office first. So, I obliged and walked into the office. I got myself a chair and sat next to Brian with a pen and notebook to write any information about the skater.

"Hola. I'm Javier Fernandez from Spain," he introduced himself. "Hello. You already know. I'm Brian Orser. This here is Ayako Kino. She is our assistant manager here at the Cricket Club," Brian said to him. I gave him a small smile.

"Have a seat," Brian told him. Javier sat down and set his bag down next to his chair. Brian looked at me. "I guess we could start with the questions," he told me. I gave him a nod and got ready to write down the answers.

"What kind of music do you want to skate to?" Brian asked him. Javier shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know," he told us. I decided to ask the next question. "What direction do you want to go?" I asked him. Again, he wasn't sure. He had no idea.

"How do you see yourself in one year from now?" Brian asked a different question. He shrugged his shoulders again. "What are your goals for this season?" I asked something a bit more easier. "I don't know," he said.

{Uh....I think we have alot of work to do.} Honestly, I wondered why he started skating in the first place. There was a good way to look at this situation. Brian could start him from the very beginning. He would learn the basics of skatings.

"I do have an idea of where to start with you. If that's is alright," Brian to told him. "Yes sir," Javier said. I closed my notebook. "Aya. Can you create his schedule? He will be starting tomorrow," he told me.

"Of course," I told him and got up from my seat. "Follow me," I told Javier and walked out of the office. Once at my office, I got onto the computer. "Sit please," I told him. Javier sat down in a seat in front of my desk.

"Let's see," I opened up the schedule for the month. I typed into the computer to look at the schedules. We had a few skaters currently training here. We had Elene Gedevanishvili who was from Georgia. She had started skating here earlier this month. Christina Gao was another skater. Stephen Gogolev was the only other male skater

"Just to let you know, you are expected to be on the ice on time. Not a minute after. Brian is very strict about keeping his schedule. If you are late, less ice time for you," I told him.