94: Graduation Day

The day of the graduation ceremony we drive out of Toulouse to the field where it will be held. Mom and dad have rented their own car so they head out before us. Hazel refused to wake up in the morning. We went sightseeing yesterday evening. But we made sure to return back to the villa early enough for Hazel and Sebastian to catch some sleep.

As we drive to the outskirts of Toulouse I think of the night that Daniel and I shared. Intimacy after almost ten months felt heavenly and I feel as if I'm still on some high.

Soon we spot the parking and Daniel finds an empty space for the car. I get out of the car and straighten my yellow knee length summer dress before helping Hazel out of her car seat and fixing her hair that came undone during the drive.

Once she's all set, I take her hand and Daniel grabs Sebastian from his car seat and then we walk down a cobbled path to a field where chairs and a large stage have been set up.

An usher tells us our seat numbers and we walk along the rows looking for the right ones. I finally spot mom and dad some rows ahead of where we are and point them out to Daniel. We make our way to them and I sit down next to mom while Hazel claims the seat next to dad.

"I need to make a few phone calls." Daniel says handing me Sebastian as he pulls out his phone and walks away from the hustle bustle of the setup.

"Did you get a chance to meet Tess?" I ask since this was the main reason mom and dad left before us.

"Yes and Phil too." Mom replies before turning to listen to something that Hazel's saying.

Sebastian wakes up and I'm grateful that I put his little peak cap on so he's protected from the blare of the sun. I pull my own sunglasses out of my hair and put them on.

"Ladies and gentlemen, can you all please be seated?" A voice says through the speakers.

As everyone hurries to settle down, Daniel slides into the seat next to mine still on the phone probably with Jeremy. As the commotion dies down he finishes the call and puts his phone on silent.

"Thank you ladies and gentlemen for joining us today to celebrate your family and friends who will graduate today."

Big screens on either side of the stage project the view of the stage as the Dean makes her speech and then hands over the mic to a subordinate who says, "And now for the handing out of the degrees please welcome the Chancellor of University of Toulouse to the stage."

We all applaud as the man takes his place on the stage and they begin to announce the first in class for each of the university's schools.

"School Jean Jaures, Tess Kissinger, major in Fashion and Design, minor in Business Management."

"Tess is first in class?! I hear mom exclaim as I too clap in happy surprise.

I feel proud as I watch my little sister walk the stage and accept her degree and medal. She must be well known with the university crowd because the applause and cheers continue until she disappears from the screens.

There are a total of five hundred students graduating so instead of announcing everyone's majors, they simply announce names and hand over the diploma. The ceremony ends in another two hours and then the fresh graduates disperse to find their families.

Five minutes later Tess finds us and I'm the first one to pull her into a hug, "First in class?! When did you turn into that?!"

She laughs, "Hey! Anyone can turn a new leaf."

I let go of her so that everyone else can meet her.

"We need to take pictures." I announce as Daniel pulls out the camera we brought with us.

First he takes one of Tess with mom and dad, then one with both of them individually. Then one with Hazel and one with Sebastian. She hands Sebastian to mom as I take my turn with her. Next I take a picture of her with Daniel and then we ask a man to take a picture so that we can all be in it. For that, mom and Tess sit in chairs with Hazel on Tess's lap and the rest of us stand behind them with Seb is Daniel's arms.

"Thank you." I say to the man as I take the camera from him and shove it into Tess's hands, "Take a picture."

I hold Sebastian and Daniel lifts Hazel into his arms as we pose for a picture with the French countryside in the background.

We stand talking but soon Hazel starts to get cranky over her empty stomach so when Tess says, "Come meet Phil's family."

I decline, "I think we're to head back to the city. The children need to eat."

"Okay. We're having dinner with Phil's family, don't forget!" Tess reminds me.

"I won't." I tell her and then we part ways.

We get Hazel McDonald's and then drive to a pizza parlor that we spotted last night. As we wait for our pizza to arrive, Hazel opens her Happy Meal toy which is a jigsaw puzzle and spreads the pieces all over the table.

Daniel helps her start putting it together and my mind drifts off to thoughts of Tess getting married and returning to Switzerland after nearly five years.

I feel Daniel's hand on mine, under the table and my thoughts drift away. He raises an eyebrow at me and I know him well enough to understand the unspoken question.

I sigh and lean back in my chair, "Thinking of Tess's wedding and Bern. It's been so long."

"We can fly there with your parents right after we leave France." Daniel says, making me smile.

"We need to go back for Hazel to start her swim practice for August." I remind him.

"We can just bribe Tess into stopping over in Pasadena for a week before flying out to New York." Daniel suggests.

And I know that it's a genuine offer. I take his hand in mine before saying, "I miss Switzerland but I'd miss my children more. We'll all go together next summer."

"As you wish, Emma dearest." Daniel says, making me giggle.

Just then the food arrives and we turn our attention back to Hazel who has made her way through part of the puzzle and gets frustrated when we tell her that she needs to pack it up and eat her food.

"By the way we have to fly out to Paris tomorrow." Daniel says halfway into the meal.

"Paris? Why?" I ask confused.

"It's the official inauguration of the Paris headquarters." Daniel replies.

I sit up straight. "How long have you known about this?"

"We've been working on it ever since March." He tells me and then when he sees me tear up he says, "Come on! I thought you'd be happy not upset."

I laugh and wipe away the tears, "I am, it's just after all the struggle with Alan and Co. it's finally happening and we can put all that in the past."

"Yes, we can." He smiles back at me before turning to Hazel, "Bunny, you're going to attend with us."

"Hazel?" I ask to make sure I heard correctly.

Daniel nods, '"Yes. There's something for her to see."

Hazel's eyes gleam as I watch her run all the possibilities of a possible surprise through her head.

"Will you be able to sleep tonight?" I ask her.

She shakes her head making us laugh.