4: Sausages

I wake up to something brushing my cheeks. When I open my eyes I realize they are Daniel's lips.

"Good morning." He says, getting out of bed.

"Morning." I mumble, wrapping the covers more tightly around me.

"Come on. Get up, Sleeping Beauty." I laugh at this and say, "Alright. I'm up."

To make my point I start to get up but the moment he leave the room I flop back down. I wake up to hear the shower running. I go to the living room to find Hazel waiting for me.

"Morning mommy!" She says. I lean down and kiss her cheek.

"Ready to talk to Vanessa?" I ask and she squeals in delight.

I grab Daniel's laptop and set up Skype. In no time Hazel is talking to Vanessa, telling her all about yesterday.

We hired a dog-sitter who takes care of Vanessa every time we have to go somewhere. One of her duties is to get Vanessa to talk to Hazel every morning through Skype. They do spend every minute together after all, which I'm worried will be very difficult for her once she has to go to school.

Once they finish talking I help her take a shower and change into a brown skirt and a pink floral shirt. At the same time Daniel comes our wearing jeans and a blue checked shirt.

Giving him a kiss, I go get ready.

When I come back I find them both missing. I frown at this and call Daniel.

"Where are you?" I screech the moment he picks up.

"Calm down. We came down for breakfast." He replies and I sigh in relief.

I get my purse and go down too. The hotel offers a breakfast buffet. When I walk into the dining hall, I see Hazel trying to choose what to eat.

I go to her and ask. "Do you need help?"

She just stands there and asks. "Is there any cake?"

I bend down so that we both are at the same eye level. "No. And even if there was, you can't have any because too much cake isn't good. You have to eat something else too."

She makes a sulky face but says, "I want sausages."

After a few minutes all three of us are seated at a table in the middle of the room and Hazel is gobbling down sausages.

"What's the plan for today?" I ask Daniel as I pop some scrambled eggs in my mouth and start chewing.

He sets down his fork and replies. "I was hoping we could go visit the Eiffel Tower and then go out for dinner somewhere."

"We can do that." I say at the same moment Hazel says. "I want more sausages."

We both stare at her in disbelief because she's already had five of them.

"Bunny do you want anything else?" Daniel asks her.

At once tears fill up her eyes.

"What's wrong?" He puts an arm around her.

"Mommy didn't let me have cake and now you're not letting me eat sausages." She protests.

"Alright. Alright. You can have more." I sigh.

And here is how she gets everything her way.