25: Mom Knows All

"Mommy." Hazel's voice jolts me awake.

"Yes Bunny?" I ask, rolling over to face her.

"Can grandpa and I take Vanessa for her walk?" She asks for permission.

"Yeah sure. Just be careful with her." I tell her and she runs out to find dad and Vanessa.

The minute the door closes behind her last night comes crashing back to me. I look at the other side of the bed but it's empty which means Daniel must have left for work. I check the time on my phone and I realize that it's almost afternoon.

I just lay there for a few minutes before forcing myself out of bed and into the bathroom. I take a long shower, pamper myself with various scrubs and scented hair products and then take my time shaving myself. Once I feel somewhat refreshed, I change into a pair of capri jeans and a white t-shirt.

I find mom in the living room by herself, so dad and Hazel must have left with Vanessa.

"Hey!" I say, making her look up from the newspaper.

"Good morning. Did you sleep well?" She asks.

"Yeah." I nod, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear and sitting down next to her on the sofa.

"Daniel said you weren't feeling well last night and we should let you sleep in." She says, setting down the newspaper to look at me.

I sigh, looking down at my hands. "Just a headache."

"Are you sure?" She asks and I look up to find her with a raised eyebrow. She used to do this when Tess and I were in school. She would know we were not telling the entire truth but she wouldn't push us to tell her, only let us know that she knew we were being dishonest.

I think it over for a few minutes in silence before shifting to face her. "The talk we..."

She cuts me off saying, "I know."

"You do?" I ask, surprised. "How?"

"I'm your mother. I could see how uncomfortable I made you but I had to confirm my suspicion." She replies.

"What suspicion?" I ask, more confused.

"I know there's something you're keeping from and that's fine. Whatever it is, is between you and Daniel. You're a married woman now and I respect your decisions. But just know that I am your mother, that will never change and I am always here for you."

I didn't realize I had tears in my eyes until a few slipped out. Mom reaches out and brushes them away before holding out her arms to me. I slip into her embrace and she holds me as I get a grasp on my emotions.

"Thank you." I say, pulling away and smiling at her.

"Aww!" A tiny voice squeals from behind us.

We turn around to find Hazel and dad standing in the door way, back from their walk. Vanessa runs past to her water bowl and Hazel climbs onto my lap, before kissing my cheek.

"I love you, mommy." She says, making me laugh and kiss her head. "I love you too, Bunny."

Daniel comes home earlier than usual so that we can all have dinner together since my parents leave for a little road trip tomorrow morning.

I'm in the kitchen talking to the chef when Hazel runs in and tries hiding between my legs.

"Hazel! What's going on?" I ask, dismissing the chef and bending down to talk to my daughter.

"DADDY!" She screams at the top of her lungs and hides behind me as Daniel walk in too.

"Hazel, stop hiding and come listen to me." He sighs, looking at her.

"What happened?" I ask, pulling her out from behind me and grabbing hold of her arm before she can run away again.

"Do you want to tell mommy?" He asks Hazel, clearly angry at her.

Hazel is close to tears as she mumbles, "I was only playing."

"But they were very important papers Hazel! I have told you a lot of times you can have as many papers as you want from the printer pile but not from my desk!" He says.

"I'm sorry, daddy." Hazel hiccups, starting to cry.

Daniel's face softens at once as he kneels down and holds his arms out. "Come here."

Hazel walks over to him and he hugs her, smiling at me over her head. I shake my head and leave them to sort out the problem on their own.

An hour later we're all seated around the dining table, enjoying the food that mom made.

"This curry reminds me of the one you made for my college graduation dinner." I remark, smirking at Daniel who met my parents for the first time then.

"It's good." He agrees, smiling at me.