66: Late Night Pharmacy Run

We decide to go out for drinks later at night so after dinner I head to my room to rest and then get changed. By now I've taken off my suit's jacket and my heels have been replaced by a pair of white Vans that I stowed in my bag this morning.

Once in my room I slump into a chair exhausted from the day. I want to cancel tonight's plan and just sleep but I will myself to enjoy this time alone before I have to return to mother duties.

I don't realize that I've fallen asleep in the chair until I'm woken by a sudden wave of nausea that has me running to the bathroom and throwing up dinner. My head also hurts which means my friend from the morning didn't really leave.

I groan at the thought of having to deal with the headache again and trudge back to the armchair I was sitting in and retrieve my phone. Jeremy picks up after a few rings.

"Hey! Jeremy, I'm really tired so I think I'll just stay in tonight." I tell him.

"Are you sure? This deal truly is something to celebrate." He says.

"I'm sure. Won't be much of a celebration for me if I fall asleep at a bar." I laugh at my own predicament.

He laughs with me, "Alright. I'll let the others know. Good night."

"Good night." I reply and end the call.

Finally, with no more obligations for the night I change into my pajamas and take off my makeup. Before I know it I'm in bed, drifting off.

I'm on a massage table at the hotel spa as the lady gives me a heavenly head massage. I sigh, enjoying the blissful silence.

"Had the headache been bothering you all day, ma'am?" She asks me.

"Yes." I sigh, not wanting to think about the terrible mood the headache put me in in the morning.

"Did you get yourself checked by a doctor?" She asks.

"No, I'm sure it was just the traveling from the day before." I reply, letting her hands soothe me.

"You also mention that you were nauseous." She states.

"Yes. So?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Aren't your periods late too, ma'am?" She asks.

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused.

"You were supposed to have them three weeks ago. It's nearing a month now." She replies.

"What?" I ask, opening my eyes.

I jerk awake in bed, the dream still fresh in my mind. With shaking hands I reach for my phone and open the note where I keep period date record. I do the math and the lady from the dream was right as if it was my own subconscious telling me to check what I was missing.

I hadn't thought much of my period being late with Hazel's swimming, Mia, Daniel being ill. I groan and shove my hands into my hair.

The time on my phone says 10 p.m. which means that the others must have left the hotel almost an hour ago. I throw back the covers and sift through the catalogue on the bedside table till I locate the valet's number.

"Hello! This is Emma Aaron, can you please have my car bought to the front in fifteen minutes?" Once the man at the other end confirms that he will, I change into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, put my trainers on, pull my hair into a ponytail and grab my purse before heading out to the parking.

The car is waiting for me. I get in behind the wheel and look for the nearest pharmacy on my phone which is a five minute drive from the Four Seasons. I follow the phone's instructions but it ends up taking twice as long since its Friday night.

When I finally arrive, I park the car and hurry inside. A single saleslady sits in the pharmacy, staring down at her phone's screen.

"Can you please tell me where the pregnancy tests are kept?" I ask her.

"Last aisle." She says, without looking up from her phone.

"Thanks." I mutter and head for the right aisle. I take two tests of different companies off the shelf and take them back to the counter where the girl seems annoyed enough at being interrupted that for a second I think she may ask me to just take them without paying.

Finally she extracts herself from her chair and bills me for my purchase which I pay for and then hurry back to the car, eager to get back to my hotel room.

Forty minutes later I'm staring at both the tests on the bathroom counter. I'm pregnant.

My body is shaking from the news and suddenly I'm gasping for air as tears roll down my cheeks. For a minute I can't think straight. Three years ago, four months after I gave birth to Hazel I was told that I may never be able to conceive again.

Miraculously, I'm pregnant.

My first instinct is to call Daniel but I can't tell him this until I confirm with a gynecologist so that I don't get his hopes high and I still have one entire day till I head home.

Good luck to me at keeping myself together.

Short chapter but there is SO MUCH MORE TO COME!!

-T