84: Big Sister

It's THE day.

It's the day Hazel finds out that she's going to be an older sister to a brother.

On our way back from the hospital we decided that we would take Hazel out for lunch on Friday after school to get her in a good mood and maybe even buy her some cake before telling her.

"I feel like we're bribing her." I say to Daniel as we enter the house from lunch and Hazel runs ahead of us to change out of her school uniform.

She is eager to do that as quickly as possible because she thinks we're all going to play a game of Snakes and Ladders before Daniel returns to work.

Daniel nudges me with his shoulder, "We don't know how she'll react. So look at it as taking precautions."

"Stop making me anxious!" I playfully punch his shoulder as we sit down in the living room.

"Oh God." I mutter as she walks into the room and I put on a smile to hide the news we're about to break.

"Where's the game?" She asks, stopping the doorway.

"We decided not to play because we have something very important to tell you." Daniel says, "Come sit with us."

She scrambles onto the 'L' sofa junction, so that Daniel and I face each other and face Hazel.

"You know how I have been sick recently?" I raise an eyebrow and she nods. "Daddy said you needed rest."

"I do." I tell her. "Do you know why I need rest?"

She shakes her head but suddenly her eyes tear up, "Are you okay, mommy?"

I sigh, my heart aching, "Bunny, I'm perfectly alright." I wrap an around her waist and kiss her cheek.

She gives me a small smile before turning away to listen to Daniel.

"Did you notice that mommy is getting fat?" Daniel asks and Hazel giggles, "Yes."

"Do you want to know why?" He asks and before Hazel can say anything he adds, "It's not because she ate too much."

I roll my eyes at him.

"Why?" Hazel asks me.

"Because there's a baby there." I drop the bomb.

"A baby?" She frowns, looking hard at my belly.

"Yes. There's a baby. You can meet him in a few months." I tell her. "He's going to be your brother."

"Brother?" She asks, the word foreign on her tongue. "Like from the story?"

I nod, knowing that she's referring to the story that I read to her a few days ago in the hopes of getting her ready for the news.

She goes silent staring at my stomach and we wait for her to say something but when she doesn't, I silently raise an eyebrow at Daniel who gets up from the sofa and crouches down before us.

"Bunny?" He says, taking her hands in his. She turns away from my stomach to look at him.

"You want to tell us anything?" He asks.

Suddenly she bursts out crying and throws her arms around Daniel's neck, sobbing into his shoulder. Daniel holds onto her and meets my eyes. I sigh and reach out to rub her back.

My heart is hurting for her. I was anticipating such a reaction but a small part of my heart was willing to make me think that she might accept it immediately. She is just a little girl who has always had us to herself, all four years of her life.

A few minutes of crying later she pulls away from Daniel and wipes her eyes before turning to me. I'm surprised to see a shy smile on her face.

"I will be a sister?" She asks.

I nod, smiling back. "Yes, a wonderful big sister."

We talk to her a few minutes longer with Hazel getting more and more excited with every minute.

When Daniel stands up to leave for his office, Hazel quickly asks, "Can I tell my friends?"

Daniel looks at me, letting me answer it. I think it over a second before nodding, "Sure."

She squeals and runs away, probably to let Vanessa know.

"'Why I'm getting fat?' Really?" I laugh.

"It was the best I could think up." Daniel smiles, kissing my cheek.

Three chapters in one day! New record for me ;)

Please leave lots of comments and tell me what you think of the story! :)

-T