27: Tess's Past

I call Daniel and hold the phone to my ear using my shoulder as I insert the straw into Hazel's juice box. He doesn't pick up but I do get a message immediately after saying that he is in a meeting and that he will call once he's free.

I send back a reply reminding him that my parents return tonight for dinner before their flight early tomorrow morning.

In the kitchen the chef provided me with all the ingredients I asked for to make 'lemon butter garlic shrimp' and 'mushroom and cheese pizza.' Two of my parent's favorite recipes that I cooked for them while I lived in Switzerland with them.

Sometime during the preparation Hazel joins me and I let her complete small tasks for me. Once she gets bored with cooking, she gets Vanessa and they go to the back lawn to play. After I've finish plating and making sure that the food stays warm, I instruct the helpers to lay the table and be ready to serve the food.

I'm wrapping a towel around Hazel when I hear Daniel's voice calling out that's he going to change before dinner. I help her into a t-shirt and a pair of shorts then seat her in the living room watching COCO before going to my room to get changed.

"The food's amazing." Daniel complements.

"Thank you very much." I smile at him.

"We all know where you got your cooking skills from." Mom says, flipping back her hair while dad points at himself, making us all laugh.

They tell us about their road trip while Hazel gobbles down one pizza slice after another till I force her to eat a shrimp as well. I'm cutting the shrimp for her when mom says,

"We talked to Tess and she seemed happier than her usual self. Do you have any clue why?" She asks, concentrating on her food.

I share a quick look with Daniel and he nods at me, so I sit forward. "I do know why."

"You do?" She asks, surprised.

"Yeah. Umm...while we were in Paris, I ran into her at a shopping center and she told me that she has a boyfriend."

"A boyfriend?" Dad asks, his forehead starting to crease but before they both burst out, I jump to my sister's defense.

"His name is Phil and we all had dinner together. He seemed like a nice guy. Right, Daniel?" I look at him for help.

"Absolutely." He nods. "We discussed a few topics and he appeared to be a knowledgeable man."

"Appearances can be deceiving!" Dad roars and I see Hazel startle at his raised voice. "She almost got hurt last time when she dated that motorcycle boy. I will not have this again!"

"But Phil isn't him! He's a separate person! He's good. You only heard her voice over the phone. I was there! I saw her and she is so happy! Happier than I've seen her in a long time." I shout back.

They both look at me in silence till Daniel speaks up, drawing their attention towards him instead.

"I didn't know Tess's other boyfriend since that was before I met Emma but I can assure you that whatever image you have of him in mind is disoriented because of your past experience. Phil won't let her down. If you start anew and let him make his own way into your lives, you'll be surprised."

He pauses before adding, "But if he does cause trouble in any way then Tess has a brother now to deal with him which she didn't before."

My heart melts and I laugh quietly. His words seemed to have penetrated their brains because mom turns to dad before looking back at us. "We're willing to take your words for it. All we want is for her to be happy. That is all."

"We know, mom. We know." I tell her, rubbing her arm and then pulling her into hug.

A knock sounds on the front door. I hear dad answer it as I return my attention to the history text book on the kitchen counter in front of me.

"Is everything alright?" I hear mom ask as she joins dad.

I hear the murmur of people talking in low voices before I hear dad shout out my name. I hop off the stool and run to the door to find dad on the floor with a pale faced mom, unconscious in his arms.

Thankfully, I recover quickly and run to him. "What happened?"

"Tess." I hear mom groan from dad's arms.

"Tess? What's going on?" I ask, looking at the front door to find a man in a Police uniform watching.

"Dad what's going on?" I ask again, desperate for answers.

"Are you related to Tess Kensinger? The policeman asks.

I stand up nodding, "She's my sister."

"She was in a motorcycle accident. She's at the hospital. They need one of the parent's to sign her documentation so that they can discharge her." He explains.

"Is she okay?" I ask but he's already walking away to his car.

I shut the door and look down at my parents. Mom is whimpering in dad's arms as he tries to calm her down.

"I'll go get my jacket." I tell them and run to my room to fetch it. In the meanwhile dad helps mom into her coat and then we're out of the house.

I drive with mom and dad in the back, holding on to each other for the sake of their younger daughter. When we reach the hospital, I drop them off at the front entrance and then find a parking spot before joining them inside.

By the time I find them at one of the reception desks, Tess has walked out of the Emergency Room and standing with her arms folded, listening to the policeman and doctor talking to our parents.

I sigh in relief to see no visible injuries. She she's me over mom's shoulder and runs over.

"Oh my gosh Emma! I was so scared!" She cries into my shoulder.

"It's okay. We're all here for you." I hush her, rubbing her back.

"It's been a long time since we last saw her." Dad sighs, pulling me out of the memory.

"Her graduation is next year." I remind them.

"Who knows what will happen. Maybe Phil will steal her too." Mom sighs.

"Steal her too?" I ask, confused.

"Like Daniel stole you after your graduation." Dad smiles at me.

"My apologies, sir." Daniel shakes his head.

We laugh at the memories, happy to be all in one place.