16: Normal Day

I walk from my room to Hazel's. I told her to unpack her things and then we'd put them away together.

When I walk in the empty suitcase is thrown in front of the door and all the things are piled on the bed while Hazel's nowhere to be seen.

"Vanessa, where's Hazel?" I ask, who's sniffing around the bed.

"Woof!" She barks at me. Sighing, I call out my daughter's name. A moment later her head pops out from under the bed.

"Hazel! What are you doing under the bed?"

"Playing hide and seek with Vanessa!" She says, coming over to hug me.

"Let's put away your things."

"Okay." She nods, scampering onto the bed and Vanessa jumps up after her, almost slipping over the edge.

I pile all the unused t-shirts and carry them into the closet.

"Hazel bring me your frocks!" I call out.

She walks in with them a few seconds later. I take them from her and hang them in their right places. We put away her shoes and toiletries. I'm sorting out her accessories when she spots Vanessa's cushion, she brought on the last day.

"Vanessa, this is for you." Hazel places the cushion in the dog's basket before lifting her onto it. "Aww! Cute!" She squeals as Vanessa curls up into a ball and promptly falls asleep.

"Let her sleep. What do you want for lunch?" I ask her, walking over to the door.

She just shrugs, pulling out her dolls.

"Pizza?" I suggest.

"Pizza!" She agrees from her place on the floor, surrounded by her dolls.

I hunt down my phone and place my order for pizza. They tell me it'll be delivered in forty minutes. So, I decide to pay the Mac in the study room a visit, onto which Daniel copied all the pictures from the camera.

I turn it on and open the right folder.

The first set of pictures are of the Eiffel Tower. I smile at the screen as I scroll through them. Sometime later Hazel walks in and climbs onto my lap and we both look at the pictures together.

Too soon our female helper appears in the doorway. "Pizza is here."

I turn off the computer and set Hazel on the floor.

"Do you want to watch a movie with lunch?" I ask her.

"Trolls!" She pleads.

"Alright. We'll watch it in the living room." I tell her, taking her hand as we go downstairs.

Hazel runs to the living room to put on the movie while I go to the kitchen to grab the food. I take the pizza box, a juice box for Hazel and a can of diet coke for me.

Hazel is on the couch and I go sit next to her. After making sure she's comfortable, we play the movie. The movie passes without ceremony and we eat pizza. Hazel comes close to tears when all the trolls lose their happiness.

However, minutes later Can't stop the feeling by Justin Timberlake starts playing.

"I got this feeling inside my bones

It goes electric, wavey when I turn it on

All through my city, all through my home..."

Hazel and I sing the song together then watch the ending.

"How was it?" I ask as the credits start rolling.

"I loved it!" Hazel screams, jumping onto me.

"I'm Princess Poppy!" She tells me.

"But you don't have pink hair." I point out.

"Still Poppy!" She insists making me laughing and give in.

I feel someone jump onto me, making me groan and roll over to face my grinning daughter.

"Hazel!" I groan, wrapping my arms around her as she lies on top of me.

"Will you play with me?" She asks.

I lift my head to look at glass wall of the living room. It's evening now.

"Bunny I have to make sure dinner's ready before daddy comes home." I tell her, sitting up on the couch.

"Please."

"No Bunny." I firmly reject.

She leaves, dragging her feet and I hear her bedroom door slam shut then Vanessa whining, probable trying to comfort her.

"Where does she get this attitude from?" I murmur to myself, pushing myself up from the couch and heading to the kitchen.

Daniel gets home an hour later and we all have dinner together before Hazel drags him off to play. Fifteen minutes later I'm in head, drifting off when he comes back and slips into bed next to me.

"Good night." I whisper, half asleep.

"Good night." He whispers back.