42: The Police Calls

It's been a week since it all happened. Hazel and I are in her bedroom. She's on the floor playing some game with Vanessa and I'm replying to messages that I couldn't reply to over the weekend because of Hazel's swimming classes. Amelia has increased her hours as there is another swimming competition coming up and we agreed to let Hazel participate without question, as long as it kept her mind occupied.

My phone rings, showing Daniel's name.

"Hey." I say, answering the call.

"Hi. Can you please check the news and tell me what exactly they're showing?" He says.

"What do you mean?" I frown, leaving the room and heading for the TV in the living room.

"They're running news coverage of the case and I'm in court." He says which means he doesn't have access to a TV.

"Wait a second." I flip through the channels until I get to the right one.

The news headline speaks for itself. Aaron Limited takes Alan and Co. to court. News of a forced contract.

"They're just explaining the case but some of their facts are off the mark." I tell him.

"Okay, thank you." He says before saying goodbye.

I stay in front of the TV watching the news anchor explain the case as footage from the court plays in the background. I turn off the TV when I hear Hazel on the stairs and seconds later she runs into the room, with Vanessa on her heals.

"Can I swim now?" She asks.

"Sure. Go change into your swim suit." I tell her as I head outside to make sure the swimming pool filters are on.

It's dark outside and I'm helping Hazel take a shower when Daniel comes back home. I find him in the living room sprawled across the couch. He never shows how much work exhausts him but this situation is getting the best of him.

"Hey." I say, sitting down next to him.

"Hi." He says back, his eyes still closed.

"Dinner is ready. Are you up for something to eat?" I ask him.

He shakes his head and opens his eyes to look at me. "Not really hungry."

"Did everything go okay today?" I ask.

He sits up and leans his elbows on his knees before looking back at me and giving me a small smile. "We presented our case and evidence and then they presented theirs'. We weren't in the room so God knows what they even have to say in their defense. And now we'll get a date for when the verdict will be revealed."

"So far, so good?" I ask.

He nods and pulls me to him for a kiss. Before we can, Hazel walks in scolding Vanessa about something.

"Hey, Hazel. How's swim practice going?" Daniel asks, lifting her onto his lap.

"The contest is next weekend." I remind them both which gets Hazel excited again.

Five minutes later she's still explaining the new stroke she learnt this week so I excuse myself and head for the kitchen to check on dinner.On my way, the doorbell rings, the ding sounding through the house. The butler opens the door, blocking my view of whoever is on the other side.

He turns to me and says, "It's the police, ma'am."

"The Police?" I ask, a chill moving through my body.

"Yes, ma'am." He replies.

"What do they want?" I hear Daniel ask from behind me.

The butler pushes the door wide open to reveal one of Daniel's hired security guards, who says, "We have stopped them at the gates but they are requesting to meet Emma Aaron."