33: Aftermath

My ears pick up the sound of beeping machines before my eyes register the unfamiliar white ceiling above. I try to move my head but it hurts and a small groan escapes my aching body.

"Emma?" I hear a voice say my name.

I squint trying to see clearly through the haze in my head. Then suddenly Daniel appears in my line of vision, sitting next to me.

"Hey." He says as my eyes settle on him. I feel him take my hand and kiss it before I fall back into darkness.

This time when I open my eyes, it doesn't take much effort to throw off the stupor. I look around at my surroundings, taking them in. I'm a hospital bed with a chair pulled up to it and a door right across from me. There's also a window behind the chair with the blinds half way down so I can see that it's dark outside. The only light in the room is from a lamp in one corner of the room.

I lie in bed for a few minutes going over the last memory I have of my car getting hit. There are so many questions in my head.

The door opens and Daniel steps inside.

"Hey! You're awake." He says, coming to sit on the side of the bed.

"Can I have some water?" I croak. He nods and leaves the room, then returns a few minutes later with a bottle of water.

"Here." He says, pouring some into a paper cup and holding it to my lips. I take a sip then lean against the pillows behind my back.

"How long have I been here?" I ask.

"About a day." He replies, rubbing my hand.

"What happened?"

"What do you remember?" He asks.

I sigh, trying to remember all the details. "I left the spa and there was this car in the parking lot. It followed me back home and then..." I gulp. "It hit my car and then...I don't remember anything after that."

Daniel leans his elbows on his knees and looks back at me.

"Thankfully, there was a Police patrol car in the area and heard the crash. They found you unconscious and identified you from your I.D. card."

"Did they see who was in the other car?" I ask, breathing heavily.

He shakes his head making my heart sink. "No. But they did see this man abandon the car and get into another one just as they got there."

A memory comes back to me. "There were two cars in the spa parking lot. The other one must've been some distance behind so I couldn't see it."

Daniel sighs and stands up. "I'm going to find whoever hurt you and drag their ass to court."

I feel my eyes start to get heavy as the pain catches up with me again.

"Good night, darling." I hear Daniel say and then feel a kiss on my forehead as I drift off.

A short chapter! The next one will be longer!

Please, please, please, please, please, please COMMENT! I don't know who is reading my story and what you think of it. Please comment and talk to me!

Read, Vote & Comment!

-T