29: Swimming Contest

I wake up to find Daniel's side of the bed empty. The morning light is seeping in through the blinds. I grab my phone from the side table and check the time to make sure I haven't over slept on such an important day. I'm relieved to see that I haven't and still have two hours till my alarm was supposed to off.

However, I do frown at the empty bed because Daniel said he won't go the office today so he could drive with us. I throw off the covers and go the bathroom to brush my teeth and take a shower. Once I'm done, I change into a pair of jeans and a white polo shirt. Then I blow dry my hair and leave the bedroom to go find my husband.

As predicted, I find him in the library, going over some papers.

"Hey! You're awake early." He comments as I walk in.

"Too nervous to sleep." I reply as he pushes back his chair so that I can sit on his lap.

"It's Hazel's competition." He reminds me, rubbing my back.

"I know! But I'm scared for her. What if she gets hurt or disappointed?" I worry aloud.

Daniel leans forward and holds my gaze. "She won't."

I sigh and lean back against his chest. He wraps his arms around me and kisses my head. We sit like this for about ten minutes before I get up to have some breakfast made for us and to make sure Hazel's belongings for the competition were all in one place.

By the time I finish doing so, it's time to wake up Hazel. The first thing she asks is, "Is today the swimming competition?"

I nod at her and stroke her hair. "It'll be okay. Just have fun, alright?"

But I was wrong assuming she was nervous or scared because she starts jumping on her bed, screaming in excitement, then runs to Vanessa on the floor and they both roll on the floor, one screaming and the other barking.

"Is everything alright?" I hear Daniel ask from the door.

"Well, at least she's not nervous." I shrug and he walks away laughing, making me shake my head after him.

"Let's get you changed." I tell Hazel.

She takes a shower and then I help her put on a pink t-shirt over a denim skirt and help her into a pair of white sandals. Then I grab her swimming bag which contains her swim suit and other required items.

When we go to the dining room, breakfast has been laid out by the chef but I can't help smile at the sight before me. Daniel's wearing jeans with a white polo shirt too.

"We're matching!" I exclaim.

"Coincidence? I don't so." Daniel winks at me over the newspaper that he's reading.

I blush as I force Hazel to eat some cereal before letting her have a piece of chocolate cake. After we're all done, Daniel has the car brought to the front from the back garage and we leave the house.

When we get to the club's parking, it's all full already even though there's still half an hour left. Daniel drops us off at the front entrance and then leaves to find a parking spot.

I take Hazel's hand and make my way to the changing rooms. There are about five other children there with their mothers each of them wearing a number tag. The instructor, Amelia sees us walk in and rushes over to us.

"This is Hazel's number." She tells me, handing me a water proof sticker with the number five on it. "After she's taken her shower, take her to the kid's pool so that she can proceed with her warm up exercises."

"Okay. Thank you." I smile at her as she rushes to another mother who just arrived.

I find an empty cubicle and help Hazel into her pink and purple swim suit before pulling her hair into a tight bun and pulling her swimming cap over it. She puts on her goggles and then steps into one of the showers before taking my hand and going out to the kid's pool.