90: Sebastian Aaron

I feel groggy as I wake from the anesthesia. And it takes a few hours for its effects to wear off. When I finally manage to open my eyes without the room spinning, I find Daniel in a chair by my bed.

"Daniel?" I croak and in a flash he's out of the chair. But instead of coming to me he rushes out of the room. He returns a second later with Ana and a nurse.

"Emma? Can you hear us?" Ana asks.

"Of course, I can." I croak, my throat dry.

"Thank goodness." Dr. Ana throws up her hands and the nurse looks relieved too.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Do you remember anything between now and when we gave you anesthesia for the surgery?" She asks me.

I shake my head, "The anesthesia kept me under."

Dr. Ana sighs and sits down next to me on the bed. "Emma, the surgery only took an hour and you were supposed to come out of the aesthesia within two hours of taking it. Unfortunately there were some complications."

"What?" I ask, confused.

"When we stitched up your cut, it wouldn't stop bleeding. So we had to reopen the wound and control the blood before stitching it again. The blood loss kept you unconscious for an entire day."

"Complications." I whisper, unable to digest the information when suddenly it hits me and I frantically look to Daniel, "Is he okay?"

The worry on Daniel's face is immediately replaced by a smile, "He's sleeping."

He points towards something across the room and I see that it's a hospital cot. My baby boy is here!

"I want to see him." I tell Daniel and the doctor and nurse take this as their cue to leave but not before asking me to tell her if I want my painkiller dosage increased.

Daniel places the warm bundle of blankets in my arms. He is perfect. I place a hand on his little cheek as he sleeps soundly.

"He's perfect." Daniel says, voicing my thoughts. "I mean of course he his. He's my son after all."

I roll my eyes at Daniel as he places his hands on either side of my body and leans down, "Thank you."

I close my eyes as he kisses my forehead. "Thank you for being there for me." I whisper back as he leans in for a kiss.

He's forced to pull away when the baby lets out a little cry.

"Aww is Sebastian Aaron hungry?" I say and playfully push away Daniel so that I can feed my son.

Once Sebastian is sleeping again in my arms, I ask, "What is Hazel up to?"

"Mom said she'd come down to help with Hazel but something came up with dad and she had to stay back but Jeremy is going to pick her up from school." He tells me.

"She has to meet her brother." I say and Daniel nods.

"I can have Jeremy bring her here from school." He offers.

"Yes please." I say as he steps out of the room to call Jeremy. I sigh and lean back against my pillows, "I need my big girl."

As the time for Hazel to arrive nears I take Dr. Ana's advice and walk from the bed to the sofa where I sit down with Sebastian to wait for Hazel.

I'm playing with his little hand when Daniel suddenly says, "They're here."

"Does Hazel know anything?" I ask.

"Not a clue." He says and I giggle like Hazel would before she surprised someone.

The few minutes that it takes them to walk through the hospital to the private room are agonizing. I'm about to stand up and start hopping to relieve my nerves when the door opens and Hazel walks in, still wearing her school uniform blouse and skirt.

Since Sebastian is blocked from view by the sofa's back, she spots Daniel first and gives him a hug before she notices me and walks over to give me a hug too. But when she spots the baby in my arms, she stops in her tracks and her face slackens in shock.

"Hazel. Baby brother is here to meet you!" I encourage her to come forward but she stays put.

Finally Daniel takes her hand and leads her over to me. He sits down next to me and lifts Hazel onto his lap. She buries her head into his arm and refuses to look at me.

"Do you know his name?" I ask Hazel.

She turns her head, still resting on Daniel's arm, to look at me and shakes her head. "His name is Sebastian."

"Sebastian?" She tests the new name on her lips before her a smile breaks onto her face and she laughs, "Sebastian!"

"Yes." I laugh, relieved that she's finally warming up, "Do you want to hold him?"

She eagerly nods and Daniel helps her clean her hands with sanitizer before she sits down next to me again. I instruct her to put a hand under his head and then I set Sebastian on Hazel's lap.

"Smile, Bunny." Daniel says as he takes the first picture of little brother and big sister.

"Can I show him to Vanessa?" Hazel asks.

I kiss Hazel's cheek, "Of course you can but I need to stay in the hospital for two more days with him because he's too little. Then we can take him home to meet Vanessa."

"Okay!" Hazel smiles at me as I lift Sebastian out of her arms.

It's then that we realize that Jeremy never came inside the room. Daniel calls him in to meet Sebastian.

"Congratulations Emma." Jeremy says, taking Sebastian from me to hold him.

"Thank you." I say, smiling at the baby.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Hazel tug on Daniel's hand and hold out her arms. He lifts her up and she cuddles into his neck.

Hazel will always be our Bunny. I smile to myself.

Sebastian Aaron is here!

Also, with this chapter the story has reached its 90th chapter and my goal is to wrap up the story in the next ten chapters. BUT there's still some exciting things coming up for Emma, Daniel, Hazel (and of course now Sebastian :))!

These last chapters won't disappoint 🖤

-T