Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Brooke and David decided against going to Nina’s party. David and Brooke walked back to the car. It wasn’t David’s car. It was one of Abby’s many cars. It was a small white four door car. David had said something about it, but Brooke just nodded like she knew what he was saying.

“It’s my sister’s birthday tomorrow!” Brooke said happily as she climbed in the front seat of the car.

“Really?” David asked, buckling up. “How old is she?”

“She’ll be twelve.” Brooke nodded, turning the radio on. “Her name is Paige. You should come over! I’d hate to leave you at Abby’s all day by yourself!”

“Uhn,” David rubbed his neck as he cranked the car up.

“Come on!” Brooke slumped in her seat, “It’ll be fun! You can hang out with my brother and some of his friends! I mean, they’re only thirteen, but it’s better than nothing!”

“I don’t know…” David said.

Brooke sat up straight again, “I mean. You don’t have to come if you don’t want to. I was just saying that if you didn’t want to……”

David gave Brooke a ‘you-can-shut-up-now’ kind of look. Brooke and David laughed and turned back their own ways. David pulled out of the packed parking lot and drove out to the main road, not too sure of where he was going. Brooke pointed to the right, so he followed.

‘Pumped Up Kicks’ by Foster the People came on the radio. Brooke started singing to it, not even caring that she barely even knew the boy. She didn’t care. She pulled her feet out of her shoes and propped them up on the dash board. She scrolled through Twitter and responded to Claudia and Brie. Then her phone dinged. She went back to her messages app and clicked on it. At the top of the list was a little blue dot next to the name Nickky Dobbs. She clicked on it, expecting it to be an apology followed by another Prom proposal.

Nickky Dobbs: Um, call Josh. Like now.

“I…” Brooke said, “I’m sorry, David, but I have to make a quick phone call.”

“Alright.” David nodded, “Go ahead.”

Brooke’s heart raced, she didn’t know what was going on. Brooke immediately went to Josh’s contact and called it. She tapped her foot as the phone rang. It took seven-thousand years for Josh to answer, or at least it felt that way to Brooke. Her chest felt a little lighter when she heard her baby brother’s crackily voice.

“Josh?” Brooke asked.

“Hey,” He said again.

“What’s going on?” Brooke asked, tapping her fingers on her knee. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” Josh said, getting upset. He took an unsteady breath in and let it out before saying, “Brooke.”

“Yes?”

“I really miss you.” Josh admitted. “I really need you home.”

“Josh,” Brooke said, concerned. “You know I’m…”

“No, shut up!” Josh screamed. “Just shut up. Let me talk!” Brooke didn’t say anything, giving him the go to continue. So he did. Josh tremulously spoke, “Paige misses you too. And Mom cries all the time. Dad has lost all emotion. We’re a wreck without you. Please come home. Please Brookie.”

“Josh, you know I’m staying with Abby.” Brooke said, carefully. She didn’t want to hurt his feelings. For a boy, Josh was pretty sensitive, just like the other Hyland kids. Brooke continued, “I’ll be home tomorrow for Paigey’s birthday. But, hey, Josh?”

“What?” He hissed.

“It’s going to get better.” Brooke nodded, knowing Josh couldn’t see her through the phone. “I promise. I’ll see you tomorrow, and I think I’m going to bring a friend, if that is alright. He’s really nice, I think you’ll like him.”

“As long as it’s not Brandon.” Josh said, folding his arms. “I hate him.”

“Me too,” Brooke laughed. “No¸but his name is David. He’s knew here.” Brooke paused for a moment or two before asking, “So, did you get to see Chloe tonight?”

Josh laughed, “BYE BROOKE!”

“Bye Joshy,” Brooke said.

“WAIT!” Josh called, knowing that Brooke was about to hang up. Brooke brought the phone back to her ear and mumbled something, signaling Josh to continue. Josh opened his mouth. It took all of his might and courage to say, “I love you.”

Brooke smiled and began to cry, “I love you too, Joshy.”

“Goodnight.” Josh hung up.

Brooke wiped the tears. She didn’t realize how much she truly missed her brother until speaking with him that night. David reached a stop light and leaned over and kissed Brooke on the cheek. She blushed and the few tears cleared.

“Who was that?” David asked.

“My baby brother,” Brooke said. “Actually, he’s thirteen now…”

“Oh,” David nodded. “I never had any brothers or sisters. I mean, I did. But…never mind.”

“No, tell me.” Brooke said.

David took a deep breath in and said, “My sister died in a house fire a few years ago.”

“Oh,” Brooke said. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t know…”

“Yeah…” David said.

And that was that. The couple stayed quiet the rest of the ride home. David got out of the car and opened up Brooke’s door. Even though they lived in the same house, David walked Brooke to her room and held her giant puppy the entire way there. Brooke and David hugged goodnight before going into their separate rooms. Brooke lay in her bed, staring at her blank ceiling. Abby was asleep and so was David, or so she thought.

Brooke got up out of her bed, dressed in her pajamas. She wore a camisole and a pair of short shorts. She tip toed down the hall and poked her head in the door. David laid in his bed, throwing a baseball up and then catching it in his glove.

“Hey,” David smiled, sitting up a little more. He patted the space next to him.

That’s not fair! He has a bigger bed than me! Brooke though, tip toeing over to him. She crawled over her blue comforter and wiggled herself under the covers that had small baseballs and footballs all over them. Brooke pulled the covers up, over her shoulders and snuggled into David, completely trusting him.

“Tonight was perfect.” She whispered.

“Hm?” David didn’t hear her, but she was out like a light.

David stayed awake for a while. He scrolled through his text messages on his phone. He had a new message from a girl from his home, Kylie. Hey babe (: David didn’t want to respond to it, but he couldn’t help it. As he typed it, he regretted it more and more: I miss you, baby. I love you, goodnight.