Chapter Fifteen - Part Two

Chapter Fifteen – part two

The bus stopped around midnight at the hotel. Brooke was still up and still in her seat next to Nick. After their kiss, they barely said anything to each other. Brooke wouldn’t say anything when she had to get up to go to the bathroom and she only said thank you when he handed her a small bag of Fritos. Things were just plain awkward. Brooke had been texting Brandon all night. Nick was asleep with his head on Brooke’s shoulder. The lights flipped on and all the moms got up to wake their kids up. Brooke leaned her head on top of Nick’s.

“Hey Nicky,” Brooke said. “I think we’re here. You need to wake up so you can get up to your room and go to sleep in a bed.”

Nick didn’t say anything.

Brooke put her hand on his cheek awkwardly. She rubbed her thumb across his cheek bone. Without waking up, he picked his head off of her shoulder and sat up straight. Brooke pulled his face to hers. Here we go, Brooke thought. The only ways she knew how to politely wake someone up were to talk to them and rub their back until they woke up and to make like Walt Disney movies and kiss them. Brooke put her lips onto his.

She was a little taken back when she felt lips start to kiss hers back. No way I’m telling Brandon about this, Nick thought, still sleepy. Nick pulled away first. He got lost in Brooke’s bright blue eyes.

“What? Was I doing something wrong?” Brooke asked worried.

“No, not at all.” Nick whispered as he shook his head and pulled her face back into his.  

Brooke kissed Nick again and again. Butterflies filled Nick’s stomach this time. He let out a nervous chuckle which in turn made Brooke laugh. Their foreheads touched as they Eskimo kissed with their noses.

“Get a room.” Paige said. She threw her blanket over her shoulder and held onto her Lady Bug pillow pet. Paige blinked and looked away.

Brooke realized what she had been doing. Her face dropped as she looked from Paige to Nick. Nick looked confused at he looked back and forth between the two girls. Did I do something wrong? Nick asked himself, putting the emphasis on I. Everyone got off the bus and grabbed their own luggage. Brooke was the first one of and headed straight for the hotel. Nick grabbed his things and ran off after her.

“Brooke?! What did I do wrong?!” Nick screamed from the bus, knowing he wouldn’t be able to catch up with her. “I don’t understand!” Nick started to walk to her as he noticed she was crying. Her head was down. Nick started jogging to her when he realized that she was bawling.

Brooke shook her head and turned around. “You didn’t do anything wrong. It’s me. It’s always me. And my mom isn’t even here, and…”

Nick wrapped his arms around Brooke.

“And all I do is cry all the time because I’m so unhappy. And…” Brooke stopped to cry.

“Shh,” Nick hushed her, slightly rocking from side to side.

“And I can’t keep bouncing from you to Brandon and back to you.” Brooke cried in between her waves of tears. She wiped her eyes and rested her head on Nick’s chest. “I can’t keep doing this.”

“So who do you pick?” Nick asked.

Brooke gulped as she looked to Nick. She knew who she wanted, she was just scared to say. She didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. When she didn’t say anything, Nick let go and walked off. Brooke cried harder and harder until Christi caught up with her.

Christi put an arm around who she accepted as her own child. Christi calmly hushed Brooke and said, “It’s okay. Let’s go to bed.”

Paige watched from a few feet behind. Chloe could tell that Paige hurt for her sister. Chloe took Paige’s hand in her own and gave it a slight squeeze. That was the moment when they became real true friends. Sure they called each other best friends, but it wasn’t until that moment until they really felt connected. Brooke was everyone’s older sister, and no one liked seeing her upset.

 “He didn’t let me finish…I was gonna pick him.”

****The sidebar video is what inspired me to write this chapter. Enjoyy!*****