Chapter Eleven -- Stranded

Chapter Eleven --Stranded

Lying alone in my room, with my guitar on my chest, no one in the house but myself; I felt completely empty, drained, nonexistent. I couldn't be more relieved that they stayed at his parents yesterday so they couldn't see how lifeless I felt.

I haven't picked up this stupid thing in a while, and I was hoping that if I did, I'd subside the disturbing thoughts running through my mind. Alas, it has done nothing for me.

I strummed gently at all the strings on my guitar, not paying attention to any specific cords or any pattern. Just simple strumming to give my room a bit of noise so I could drown out the voices in my head.

Feeling a random vibration in my pocket, I reached out and picked up my phone. Odd, seeing as I couldn't sworn I put the thing on the do not disturb option.

Without looking, I answered the call.

An angelic voice danced in my ears. "Eli?"

I didn't answer, but mimicked the beautiful sound on my guitar.

"Eli?" The sweet like sugar voice asked again. "Are you there?" I felt in a trance.

"Hm, yeah." I mumbled, fiddling with the strings.

"Are you okay?" She asked, hesitant.

I looked down at the caller ID and widened my eyes.

"Aria? Why are you calling?" I asked, voice low and smooth to hide the rasp.

"Are you busy?"

I glanced down to my chest, where my guitar was resting before raking my fingers through my hair. "Not particularly."

"I require your services," She gave a chuckle. "Um... If I had access to anyone else, I wouldn't have bothered you, but my options are kind of... limited."

I said nothing in response, but instead contemplated hanging up.

"So, anyways." She said over the awkward silence. "My car broke down on the side of the road and I-"

"Where are you?" I asked, my attention focused.
I didn't know why I was suddenly so interested in her whereabouts.

"I'm about an hour and a half from your house, in Port Alberni," She admitted.

I sighed, frustrated. "And I'm guessing you're only calling me because I'm able to tell you what's wrong with it?"

Her laughter filled the receiving end of the phone and I was tempted to find the same tune on my guitar before I forgot what her voice sounded like.

"Well, yeah," She truthfully answered. "I know you'd rather be doing anything besides this and that's fine, but honestly I don't have anyone else I can call." There was a brief pause. "I do actually want to come out of anyone else too, Eli."

"Okay," I said, attempting to hide the distrust I felt. Already walking towards the door with my truck keys in my hand, I replied swiftly, "We'll see about that. Stay by your car. I'm on my way," and I hung up before she got a chance to waste my time with further conversation.

I glanced at the time and saw it was only eight in the morning. I looked up at the roof of my car, disappointed by how early it was. If I was on a bunch of drugs, I'd have been up still having a solo party or getting into mischief. Now that I'm sober, I was hoping I'd sleep more often but I couldn't numb out the memories anymore.

I resorted to many cups of coffee and the occasional energy drink.

When I arrived to her destination after driving around looking for her, I drove slowly down the deserted road where her shitty car was pulled off to the side, and parked behind her. I hopped out of my truck quickly with my cigarette still in my mouth, puffing on the brand new stick.