8. Mudblood

Y/N's POV

After everything that happened on the Quidditch pitch, Harry suggested we go to Hagrid's since his house was nearby.

When we arrived, we saw Lockhart making his way out so we quickly hid in a bush to avoid any communication with him.

"It's a simple matter if you know what you're doing!" Lockhart was saying loudly to Hagrid. "If you need help, you know where I am! I'll let you have a copy of my book. I'm surprised you haven't already got one. I'll sign one tonight and send it over. Well, goodbye!" and he strode away toward the castle.

We waited until Lockhart was out of sight before we walked up to Hagrid's door, knocking.

Hagrid appeared, looking grumpy, but his expression changed when he saw the four of us. "Bin wonderin' when you'd come ter see me, come in, come in. Thought you mighta bin Professor Lockhart back again."

As we sat down, Hagrid made us some tea before Harry asked. "What did Lockhart want from you?"

"Givin' me advice on gettin' kelpies out of a well," growled Hagrid, whilst setting down the teapot, "like I don' know. An' bangin' on about some banshee he banished. If one word of it was true, I'll eat my kettle."

Hermione defended Lockhart. "I think you're being a bit unfair. Professor Dumbledore obviously thought he was the best man for the job."

"Honestly Hermione, what do you see in that guy." I said, rolling my eyes.

She blushed. "N-nothing! It's just that he has very admirable achievements."

Out the corner of my eye I could see Harry and Ron smirk at me, both mouthing the word 'jealous?' Hagrid seemed to catch on and added.

"He was the on'y man for the job. An' I mean the on'y one. Gettin' very difficult ter find anyone fer the Dark Arts job. People aren't too keen ter take it on, see. They're startin' ter think it's jinxed. No one's lasted long fer a while now. Anyway, anything interesting happen?"

"Y/N punched Malfoy in the face." Harry stated.

"Only cause he called Hermione...he called her..." I couldn't seem to say the word Mudblood out loud.

"He called Hermione a Mudblood." Ron sighed.

"What does that mean?" Harry asked.

"Mudblood is a really foul name for someone who is Muggle-born, you know, non-magic parents, someone like me." Hermione said sadly.

"Who cares what he says, it doesn't make a difference, you're ten times smarter than him 'Mione." I said smiling at Hermione hoping that she wouldn't be as sad.

"An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do," said Hagrid proudly, making Hermione red.

"It's a disgusting thing to call someone," I said, "it's ridiculous. Most wizards these days are Half-blood anyway. If we hadn't married Muggles we would've died out."

"I don' blame yer for punching him in the face Y/N but 'spect Lucius Malfoy to come marchin' up ter school."

"I don't care, Lucius Malfoy doesn't scare me." I smirked. "Plus he's scared of my dad after what happened when they were in school."

"What happened?" Harry asked curiously.

"So my dad was in the same year as your mum and dad and Lucius Malfoy was a few years older I think. Anyway, one day, Lucius was causing some trouble with the Gryffindor's and my dad stepped in and embarrassed the hell out of him. It was embarrassing because everyone knew my dad was a better wizard than Lucius even though he was younger. Lucius didn't cause anymore trouble when my dad was around."

"Your dad knew my parents?" Harry asked, wide-eyed.

"Yeah, they were really good friends." I replied.

"Y/N, Harry." said Hagrid abruptly. "Gotta bone ter pick with yeh. I've heard you two bin givin' out signed photos. How come I haven't got one?"

I didn't say anything but Harry looked furious,

"I have not been giving out signed photos," he said, "if Lockhart's still spreading that around." but then we saw that Hagrid was laughing.

"I'm only jokin'," he said, patting Harry on the back, "I knew yeh both hadn't really. I told Lockhart you two didn' need teh. Yer both more famous than him without tryin'."

"Well Harry's more famous than Lockhart, I'm still a nobody."

"Not with the way I seen yer play Quidditch Y/N, reckon yeh can make it big. Told that to Lockhart as well."

"Bet he didn't like that," said Harry.

"Don' think he did," said Hagrid, smiling, "an' then I told him I'd never read one o' his books an' he decided ter go."

Afterwards, Hagrid led us outside and showed us his pumpkins that he was growing for Halloween.

"They're massive!" I exclaimed.

"Well I've been givin' them a bit o' help."

"An engorgement charm I suppose?" asked Hermione, with a mixture of disapproval and amusement.

"That's what yer little sister said," said Hagrid, nodding at Ron, "met her jus' yesterday." Hagrid looked sideways at Harry. "Said she was jus' lookin' round the grounds, but I reckon she was hopin' she might run inter someone else at my house." he winked at Harry. "If yeh ask me, she wouldn' say no ter a signed-"

"Oh, shut up," said Harry, the rest of us bursting out in laughter.

Harry looked at me before saying. "So what's happening between you and Hermione?"

I glared at him. "Nothing Harry, go give Ginny a signed photo."

"Only if you give Hermione one."

"I'm right here you know!" Hermione said, a tint of pink on her cheeks.

"Anyway it's nearly lunch. We should head back." Ron said, we all nodded, said our goodbyes to Hagrid before walking up together to the castle.

We had barely set foot in the entrance hall when a voice rang out. "There you are, Potter, Weasley." Professor McGonagall was walking towards us, looking stern. "You will both do your detentions this evening."

"What're we doing, Professor?" asked Ron.

"You will be polishing the silver in the trophy room with Mr Filch," said Professor McGonagall. "and no magic, Weasley, elbow grease."

I couldn't help but feel bad for Ron.

"And you, Potter, will be helping Professor Lockhart answer his fan mail," said Professor McGonagall.

"Oh no, Professor, can't I go and do the trophy room, too?" said Harry desperately.

"Certainly not," said Professor McGonagall, raising her eyebrows, "Professor Lockhart requested you particularly. Eight o'clock sharp, both of you."

Once McGonagall left I said. "Sorry Harry, good luck."

Harry said nothing as we walked towards the Great Hall for lunch.