18. Hermione Granger

Y/N's POV

We knew that Hagrid had a habit of keeping and raising dangerous creatures, last year he had a three-headed dog and an illegal Dragon.

I had to fill Harry, Ron and Hermione in of everything that I had talked about with Riddle.

"Riddle might have got the wrong person," said Hermione, "maybe it was some other monster that was attacking people..."

"How many monsters d'you think this place can hold?" Ron asked.

"We always knew Hagrid had been expelled," I said miserably, "and the attacks must've stopped after Hagrid was kicked out. Otherwise, Riddle wouldn't have got his award."

Ron sighed.

"Riddle sounds like Percy, who asked him to snitch on Hagrid, anyway?"

"But the monster had killed someone, Ron," said Hermione.

"And Riddle was going to go back to some Muggle orphanage if they closed Hogwarts," said Harry, "I don't blame him for wanting to stay here..."

"You met Hagrid down Knockturn Alley, didn't you, Harry?"

"He was buying a Flesh-Eating Slug Repellent," said Harry quickly.

The four of us fell silent. After a long pause, Hermione asked the craziest question of all in a hesitant voice.

"Do you think we should go and ask Hagrid about it all?"

"That'd be a cheerful visit," said Ron, "hello, Hagrid. Tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?'"

In the end, we decided not to do anything or go to Hagrid unless there was another attack.

One day, I saw Ginny on her way to her classes, and I decided to speak to her since it seemed like she was quite distant ever since the attacks started.

"Hey Gin, how you finding Hogwarts?"

"Good..." she said, trailing off. Her eyes were staring at Riddle's diary which I had in my hand. I noticed and quickly hid it, not wanting her to find out about all the attacks since she seemed stressed enough. She didn't say another word, and after a glance at where I had hidden the diary, she ran off.

Later, me, Harry and Ron were making our way to the dormitory when Neville told us that our dorm had been raided, everything was a mess.

"Riddle's diary is gone." I cursed.

"It could've only been a Gryffindor, no one else knows the password." said Hermione, when we told her later.

The next day, I was getting up to leave the Great Hall to get my Quidditch things for the Hufflepuff V Gryffindor match when I heard that voice.

"Kill this time...let me rip...tear..."

"The voice!" said Harry, looking over his shoulder, "I just heard it again, did you Y/N?"

I nodded, then Hermione exclaimed.

"I think I've just understood something! I've got to go to the library!" and she sprinted away, up the stairs.

"What does she understand?" I said, still looking around, trying to tell where the voice had come from.

"Loads more than I do," said Ron, shaking his head.

"But why's she got to go to the library?" Harry asked.

"Because that's what Hermione does," said Ron, shrugging, "when in doubt, go to the library."

"We'd better get moving," said Ron, "it's nearly eleven, the match."

I quickly sprinted up to Gryffindor Tower to collect my Nimbus Two Thousand and then joined the crowd of students making their way to the Quidditch pitch.

I got into my scarlet Quidditch robes in the changing room and joined the rest of the team. Both teams walked onto the field to loud applause. Oliver Wood took off for a warm-up flight around the goalposts. The Hufflepuffs, who played in canary yellow, were standing in a huddle, having a last-minute discussion of tactics.

I was just mounting his broom when Professor McGonagall came half marching, half running across the pitch, carrying an enormous purple megaphone.

"This match has been cancelled," Professor McGonagall called through the megaphone, addressing the packed stadium. There were boos and shouts. Oliver Wood, looking devastated, landed and ran toward Professor McGonagall without getting off his broomstick.

"But, Professor!" he shouted. "We've got to play, the cup, Gryffindor-"

Professor McGonagall ignored him and continued to shout through her megaphone: "All students are to make their way back to the House common rooms, where their Heads of Houses will give them further information. As quickly as you can, please!"

"L/N, you'd better come with me." McGonagall said gravely.

I saw Harry and Ron run over to join me, McGonagall didn't object.

"Yes, perhaps you'd better come, too, Potter, Weasley..."

"This will be a bit of a shock," said Professor McGonagall in a surprisingly gentle voice as we approached the Hospital Wing, "there has been another attack...another double attack."

My heart dropped, I knew where this was going. We walked in, there was a random Ravenclaw and on the bed next to her was none other than Hermione Granger. I felt like everything had gone dark, I couldn't say anything. I was just looking at her, on the verge of tears. She wasn't dead, she was just petrified, they can cure her was what I kept telling myself, but it didn't make it any better.

"I will escort you back to Gryffindor Tower," said Professor McGonagall, "I need to address the students."

"All students will return to their House common rooms by six o'clock in the evening. No student is to leave the dormitories after that time. You will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher. No student is to use the bathroom unaccompanied by a teacher. All further Quidditch training and matches are to be postponed. There will be no more evening activities. I need hardly add that I have rarely been so distressed. It is likely that the school will be closed unless the culprit behind these attacks is caught. I would urge anyone who thinks they might know anything about them to come forward."

As soon as McGonagall left, all the Gryffindors burst into discussion.

"That's two Gryffindors down, not counting a Gryffindor ghost, one Ravenclaw, and one Hufflepuff," said Issac, counting on his fingers, "haven't any of the teachers noticed that the Slytherins are all safe? Isn't it obvious all this stuff's coming from Slytherin? The Heir of Slytherin, the monster of Slytherin, why don't they just chuck all the Slytherins out?"

"Should we talk to Hagrid?" Harry asked.

I nodded. "Hey Harry, can I borrow your invisibility cloak?" I then asked randomly.

Harry nodded, not asking more questions as I raced upstairs and collected it.

With the invisibility cloak on, I rushed down to the Hospital Wing, not caring about the rules or the monster. When I arrived, I entered and perched myself on Hermione's bed. There were curtains around her and Madam Pomfrey had seemed to of disappeared.

I took the cloak off and looked at Hermione, I felt tears fall down my cheek. Then, I started speaking.

"We'll catch the monster, I'll catch the monster. I promise Hermione. You don't deserve this, it shouldn't be you. Anyone but you." I said, choking on my words.

"I-I, I like you Hermione, you won't hear this, but I just want to tell you. I've liked you since we met and you matter so much to me a-and-"

I couldn't say anything else, words just didn't come out my mouth, I heard someone come in so I quickly threw the invisibility cloak over me. I then tiptoed out of the Hospital Wing and back to the Common Room, going straight to my dormitory.