10. The Chamber Of Secrets

Y/N's POV

We were still there, rooted to the spot after what we had saw.

It wasn't long before students and teachers started appearing.

Students stood still, with their eyes locked on either us four or the writing or Mrs Norris.

"Enemies of the Heir, beware! You'll be next, Mudbloods!"

It was Malfoy. He had pushed to the front of the crowd, grinning.

"What's going on here? What's going on?" demanded Filch, appearing after he heard Malfoy's shouts.

"My cat! My cat! What's happened to Mrs Norris?" he shrieked.

And his eyes fell on me.

"You!" he screeched. "You! You've murdered my cat! You've killed her! I'll kill you! I'll-"

"Argus!"

Dumbledore had arrived on the scene, followed by a number of other teachers. In seconds, he had swept past Harry, Ron, and Hermione and detached Mrs Norris from the torch bracket.

"Come with me, Argus," he said to Filch, "you, too, Mr L/N, Mr Potter, Mr Weasley, Miss Granger."

Lockhart stepped forward eagerly.

"My office is nearest, Headmaster, just upstairs, please feel free-"

"Thank you, Gilderoy," said Dumbledore.

The crowd of students parted as we followed Dumbledore upstairs to Lockhart's office. When we entered, we found various photos of Lockhart quickly running away from their frame.

Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape were here as well, standing and looking at the four of us.

"It was definitely a curse that killed her, probably the Transmogrifian Torture. I've seen it used many times, so unlucky I wasn't there, I know the very counter curse that would have saved her..."

"DING!" I said, glaring at Lockhart. "It wasn't that, she was petrified Professor." I added, emphasising on the last word.

Lockhart looked at me, opening his mouth to say something but I cut him off.

"Leave, Professor Lockhart, you have no business here." I said, Hermione, who was next to me, looking shocked at the way I was talking to a Professor.

After Lockhart left Dumbledore spoke.

"Y/N is right, she is not dead, she is petrified. How, I do not know."

"Ask him then!" Filch snarled, pointing at me. "Of course he knows she's petrified, he did it!"

"No second year could have done this," said Dumbledore firmly, "it would take dark magic of the most advanced-"

"He did it, he did it!" Filch spat. "You saw what he wrote on the wall! He found, in my office, he knows I'm a-I'm a-" Filch's face worked horribly, "he knows I'm a Squib!" he finished.

It was true, one day whilst I was in Filch's office, I saw a letter.

"I never touched Mrs Norris!" I said loudly, uncomfortably aware of everyone looking at me.

"If I might speak, Headmaster," said Snape from the shadows, "L/N and his friends may have simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time," he said, with a slight sneer, "but we do have a set of suspicious circumstances here. Why was he in the upstairs corridor at all? Why wasn't he at the Halloween feast?"

"I was at a Deathday party. Sir Nick's." I replied calmly.

"But why not join the feast afterward?" said Snape, his black eyes glittering in the candlelight. "Why go up to that corridor?"