24. Ginny Weasley

Y/N's POV

I sighed in relief when Tom had disappeared. I was sitting down, staring at the ceiling, thankful that I had made it out alive.

Then came a faint groan from the end of the Chamber. Ginny was stirring. As I hurried toward her, she sat up. Her eyes travelled from the dead basilisk, over me, in my blood-soaked robes, then to the diary in my hand. She drew a great, shuddering gasp and tears began to pour down her face.

"Y/N, I tried to tell you, it was me, Y/N. But I s-swear I d-didn't mean to, R-Riddle made me, he t-took me over, and- how did you kill t-that thing? W-where's Riddle? The last thing I r-remember is him coming out of the diary-"

"Gin, it's ok. Tom's gone, his diary's destroyed. It's ok. You're safe now." I said reassuringly.

Ginny kept on weeping so I opened my arms out, offering her a hug. She accepted my offer and hugged me.

"It's all over Ginny." I said, whilst Ginny was crying into my chest. "Let's go, Ron and Harry are both waiting for us,"

"I'm going to be expelled!" Ginny wept as I helped her to her feet. "I've looked forward to coming to Hogwarts ever since B-Bill came and n-now I'll have to leave and, w-what'll mum and dad say?" 

"They'll be glad you're safe Ginny." I said as I lead her to the exit of this chamber.

After a few minutes in the dark tunnel, with Fawkes by our side, we reached where Ron and Harry were.

"Ron! Harry!" I yelled, speeding up. "Ginny's okay! I've got her!"

I heard Ron cheer, and then we turned the next bend to see his eager face and Harry's staring through the sizable gap Ron had managed to make in the rock fall.

"Ginny!" Ron thrust an arm through the gap in the rock to pull her through first. "You're alive! I don't believe it! What happened? How, what, where did that bird come from?"

Fawkes had swooped through the gap after Ginny.

"He's Dumbledore's," I said, squeezing through the gap.

"How come you've got a sword?" said Ron, gaping at the glittering weapon in my hand.

"I'll explain when we get out of here," I said with a sideways glance at Ginny, who was crying harder than ever.

"Lockhart's back there." Harry stated as the four of us walked.

"His memory's gone," said Ron, "the Memory Charm backfired. Hit him instead of us. Hasn't got a clue who he is, or where he is, or who we are. I told him to come and wait here. He's a danger to himself."

Lockhart peered up at us.

"Hello," he said, "odd sort of place, this, isn't it? Do you live here?"

"No," said Ron, raising his eyebrows at me.

I bent down and looked up the long, dark pipe.

"Have you thought how we're going to get back up this?" I said to Ron and Harry.

Ron shook his head, but Fawkes the phoenix had swooped past and was now fluttering in front of me. He was waving his long golden tail feathers. I looked uncertainly at him.

"He looks like he wants you to grab hold..." said Harry, looking perplexed, "but you're much too heavy for a bird to pull up there-"

"Fawkes," I said, "isn't an ordinary bird." I turned quickly to the others, "we've got to hold on to each other. Ginny, grab Ron's hand. Professor Lockhart-"