20. The Basilisk

Y/N's POV

It was the next day, Ron was still annoyed with Hagrid for telling us to follow the spiders but he had calmed down slightly.

"At least we know that Hagrid never opened the Chamber." Harry said optimistically.

"Yeah..." I sighed, "wait a minute...didn't Aragog say that the girl who died was found in a bathroom?"

"Yeah..." Ron said

"You don't think-" Harry gasped.

"Moaning Myrtle."

"Oh god, not her." Ron sighed.

It was the next day and us three were at breakfast. "All those times we were in that bathroom, and she was just three toilets away," said Ron, "and we could've asked her, and now..."

We were cut off by McGonagall making an announcement.

"I have good news," she said, and the Great Hall, instead of falling silent, erupted.

"Dumbledore's coming back!" several people yelled joyfully.

"You've caught the Heir of Slytherin!" squealed a girl at the Ravenclaw table.

"Quidditch matches are back on!" roared Wood excitedly.

When the chatter had subsided, Professor McGonagall said. "Professor Sprout has informed me that the Mandrakes are ready for cutting at last. Tonight, we will be able to revive those people who have been petrified. I need hardly remind you all that one of them may well be able to tell us who, or what, attacked them. I am hopeful that this dreadful year will end with our catching the culprit."

There was a loud cheer, I glanced over to the Slytherin table and wasn't surprised to see that Malfoy hadn't joined in.

"It won't matter that we never asked Myrtle, then!" Ron said to us. "Hermione'll probably have all the answers when they wake her up!"

We were now being lead to our next class, History of Magic by Lockhart. We thought this would be a perfect opportunity to sneak off the Myrtle's bathroom to question her. Neither me, Harry or Ron spoke to Lockhart until we were close to our next classroom.

"Why don't you leave us here, sir, we've only got one more corridor to go-" Ron said.

"You know, Weasley, I think I will," said Lockhart, "I really should go and prepare my next class-"

And he hurried off.

"Prepare his class," I sneered after him, "gone to curl his hair, more like."

We let the rest of the Gryffindors go ahead of us, then darted down a side passage and hurried off toward Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. But just as we were congratulating each other on our brilliant plan-

"L/N! Potter! Weasley! What are you doing?"

It was Professor McGonagall.

"We were-we were," Ron stammered, "we were going to-to go and see-"

"Hermione," I said. Ron, Harry and Professor McGonagall all looked at me.

"We haven't seen her for ages, Professor," I went on hurriedly, "and we thought we'd sneak into the Hospital Wing, you know, and tell her the Mandrakes are nearly ready and, er, not to worry-"

Professor McGonagall was still staring at me, then she spoke,

"Of course," she said, I saw a tear glistening in her eye, "of course, I realise this has all been hardest on the friends of those who have been...I quite understand. Yes, L/N, of course, you may visit Miss Granger. I will inform Professor Binns where you've gone. Tell Madam Pomfrey I have given my permission."