6. Lockhart's Lesson

Y/N's POV

After lunch we had DADA with Lockhart and I was not excited for it at all, however I would be keeping a watch out for him after our conversation before Herbology.

At lunch, Ron was talking about how angry he was since his wand, which had been fixed with Spellotape after the flying car incident, was now malfunctioning.

"What've we got this afternoon?" asked Harry, hastily changing the subject.

"Defence Against the Dark Arts," said Hermione at once.

"Why," demanded Ron, seizing her schedule, "have you outlined all Lockhart's lessons in little hearts?" Hermione snatched the schedule back, blushing furiously.

I was annoyed, it was obvious Hermione had some weird crush on our new DADA teacher but he was pathetic! Absolutely pathetic!

We finished lunch and went outside into the courtyard. Hermione sat down on a stone step and buried her nose in Voyages with Vampires again. Me, Harry and Ron stood talking about Quidditch for several minutes before I noticed someone watching us,

"Hey Harry, I think you got an admirer." I said pointing to the little boy who was now coming over with some weird object in his hand.

"All right, Harry? I'm-I'm Colin Creevey," he said breathlessly, taking a tentative step forward, "I'm in Gryffindor, too. D'you think-would it be all right if-can I have a picture?" he said, raising the object hopefully.

"A picture?" Harry repeated blankly.

"So I can prove I've met you," said Colin Creevey eagerly, "I know all about you and You-Know-Who, could you sign it as well?"

"Signed photos? You're giving out signed photos, Potter?" a foul voice said, out of nowhere, Draco Malfoy had now entered the courtyard, his friends following behind.

"Everyone line up!" Malfoy roared to the crowd. "Harry Potter's giving out signed photos!"

"No, I'm not," said Harry angrily, his fists clenching, "shut up, Malfoy."

"You're just jealous," piped up Colin.

"Jealous?" said Malfoy, who didn't need to shout anymore since half the courtyard was listening in. "Of what? I don't want a foul scar right across my head, thanks. I don't think getting your head cut open makes you that special."

"Eat slugs, Malfoy," said Ron angrily. Crabbe stopped laughing and started rubbing his knuckles in a menacing way.

"Be careful, Weasley," sneered Malfoy, "you don't want to start any trouble or your mummy'll have to come and take you away from school." he put on a shrill, piercing voice. "If you put another toe out of line-"

There was laughter from some older Slytherins.

"Draco, at least people want signed photos of Harry, don't see anyone asking you for one." I said glaring at the Slytherin.

"Why don't you get yourself a signed photo of L/N here as well." Draco said to Colin. "Y/N L/N, the youngest seeker in a century, who by luck, hasn't fallen off his broom and broken his neck yet."

Colin looked like he was going to ask me for a signed photo before Lockhart arrived.

"What's all this, what's all this?" Gilderoy Lockhart was striding toward us. "Who's giving out signed photos?"

"Potter and L/N." Malfoy spat.

"Shouldn't of asked!" Lockhart said cheerfully. "We meet again Harry."

He paused. "You too Y/N."

Pinned to Lockhart's side and burning with humiliation, I saw Malfoy smirk at me before joining the crowd.

"Come on then, Mr Creevey," said Lockhart, beaming at Colin, "a triple portrait, can't do better than that, and we'll all sign it for you."

Colin fumbled for his camera and took the picture as the bell rang behind them, signaling the start of afternoon classes.

Lockhart then pulled the two of us aside. "Let me just say that handing out signed pictures at this stage of your career isn't sensible, looks a tad bigheaded, to be frank. There may well come a time when, like me, you'll need to keep a stack handy wherever you go, but..." he gave a little laugh, "I don't think you're quite there yet."

"I'm more than you'll ever be already." I said glaring at Lockhart before walking into his classroom.

Once the whole class was seated, Lockhart began.

"Me," he said, pointing at it and winking as well, "Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defence League, and five time winner of Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile Award, but I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!"

"Ding!" I said quite loudly, causing the whole class to stare at me. "Sorry, that's just my lie detector."

Lockhart looked quite flustered as the class laughed, Hermione elbowed me though.

"Now...I have a quiz, just to see how much you've read and taken in from my books."

He handed the quizzes out and the questions were all just about him. I refused to answer a single question. When he collected my paper he looked at me and I just smirked back.

"Well, seems like none of you have read much, but Miss Hermione Granger knew my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of hair care potions, good girl! In fact-" he flipped her paper over, "-full marks! Where is Miss Hermione Granger?"

Hermione raised a trembling hand.

"Excellent!" beamed Lockhart. "Quite excellent! Take ten points for Gryffindor! And so, to business."

He lifted a large covered cage onto his desk.

"Now, be warned! It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizard kind! You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. All I ask is that you remain calm."

"Ding! Sorry, my lie detector goes off a lot in Lockhart's presence."

"It's Professor Lockhart! And don't be so rude!" Hermione scolded.

"I must ask you not to scream," said Lockhart in a low voice, "it might provoke them."

When Lockhart unveiled the cage I laughed. "Cornish Pixies? They're not very dangerous."

"Don't be so sure!" said Lockhart. "Devilish tricky little blighters they can be! Let's see what you make of them!"

Yes, without any teaching he released Cornish Pixies which caused mayhem in our class. Before he could creep off to his office I caught him.

"Don't pull anything like this again or you'll know what I'll do."