23. The Truth

Y/N's POV

Using my wand, Riddle traced the words

TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE

Then he waved the wand once, and the letters of his name rearranged themselves.

I AM LORD VOLDEMORT

"You see?" he whispered. "It was a name I was already using at Hogwarts, to my most closest friends only, of course. You think I was going to use my filthy Muggle father's name forever? I, in whose veins run the blood of Salazar Slytherin himself, through my mother's side? I, keep the name of a foul, common Muggle, who abandoned me even before I was born, just because he found out his wife was a witch? No, I fashioned myself a new name, a name I knew wizards everywhere would one day fear to speak, when I had become the greatest sorcerer in the world!"

"You're not though, Albus Dumbledore is." I said bravely.

"Dumbledore's been driven out of this castle by the mere memory of me!" he hissed.

"He's not as gone as you might think!" Harry retorted.

Just then, a crimson bird has appeared and was flying across the chamber towards me and Harry.

It dropped the ragged thing it was carrying at my feet, then landed heavily on my shoulder. As it folded its great wings, I looked up and saw it had a long, sharp golden beak and a beady black eye.

It was Fawkes.

Fawkes sat still and warm on my shoulder, gazing steadily at Riddle.

"That's a phoenix," said Riddle, staring back at it.

"Fawkes?" I breathed, I felt the bird's golden claws squeeze my shoulder gently

"And that-" said Riddle, now eyeing the ragged thing that Fawkes had dropped, "that's the old school Sorting Hat-"

So it was. Patched, frayed, and dirty, the hat lay motionless at my feet.

Riddle began to laugh again. He laughed so hard that the dark chamber echoed.

"This is what Dumbledore sends his defenders! A songbird and an old hat! Do you feel brave? Do you feel safe now?"

I stared at him.

"Do you want to know something else? Ginny mentioned you had a nice family."

"Don't bring my family into this!" I said. "They have nothing to do with you."

"But you see, Y/N L/N, they have everything to do with me." Tom said, staring at me.

I waited, nervous for what he was going to say.

"You have Salazar Slytherin's blood too." Tom began.

"How?" I said, more and more anxious for what he was going to say.

"You, Y/N L/N, are my living grandchild."

Nothing escaped my mouth, my throat seemed to of closed up as I found it impossible to say anything. Harry looked at me,

"Y-you two are related?" he stuttered.

Tom nodded evilly. "Yes Harry Potter, your friend Y/N L/N is Voldemort's grandson."

"Harry," I began, "I'm nothing like him."