5. Herbology

Y/N's POV

We had double Herbology with the Hufflepuffs. First, me, Harry, Ron, and Hermione left the castle together, crossed the vegetable patch, and made our way to the greenhouses, where the magical plants were kept.

At least the Howler had done one good thing, Hermione seemed to think that Harry and Ron had now been punished enough and was being perfectly friendly again, not bitter and annoyed like she was before.

As we neared the greenhouses we saw the rest of the class standing outside, waiting for Professor Sprout. We had only just joined the rest of the class when she came striding into view across the lawn, accompanied by Gilderoy Lockhart, I sighed. He was going to make a scene and I didn't want to be here for it.

"Oh, hello there!" he called, beaming at the students. "Just been showing Professor Sprout the right way to doctor a Whomping Willow! But I don't want you running away with the idea that I'm better at Herbology than she is! I just happen to have met several of these exotic plants on my travels..."

"Greenhouse three today, chaps!" said Professor Sprout, who was looking annoyed, not at all her usual cheerful self.

There was a murmur of interest. We had only ever worked in greenhouse one before, greenhouse three housed far more interesting and dangerous plants. Professor Sprout took a large key from her belt and unlocked the door. I caught a whiff of damp earth and fertilizer mingling with the heavy perfume of some giant, umbrellasized flowers dangling from the ceiling. I was about to follow Harry, Ron and Hermione inside when Lockhart's hand shot out.

"Harry! I've been wanting a word, you don't mind if he's a couple of minutes late, do you, Professor Sprout? Oh and you too Y/N."

Judging by Professor Sprout's scowl, she did mind, but Lockhart said. "That's the ticket," and closed the greenhouse door in her face. I also didn't know why he wanted to talk to me or how he knew my name.

"Harry," said Lockhart, as he shook his head, "Harry, Harry, Harry."

Harry said nothing.

"When I heard, well, of course, it was all my fault. Could have kicked myself. Don't know when I've been more shocked. Flying a car to Hogwarts! Well, of course, I knew at once why you'd done it. Stood out a mile. Harry, Harry, Harry."

"Did it ever occur to you that maybe you had no relevance to what happened. Much like the events that happened in your book." I said, glaring at Lockhart.

Lockhart just ignored me.

"Gave you a taste for publicity, didn't I?" said Lockhart. "Gave you the bug. You got onto the front page of the paper with me and you couldn't wait to do it again."

"Oh, no, Professor, see-"

"Harry, Harry, Harry," said Lockhart, reaching out and grasping his shoulder, "I understand. Natural to want a bit more once you've had that first taste, and I blame myself for giving you that, because it was bound to go to your head, but see here, young man, you can't start flying cars to try and get yourself noticed. Just calm down, all right? Plenty of time for all that when you're older."

I was still confused to why he still wanted me here.

"Now you Y/N. I have heard from many people that you're quite the seeker. Of course, I was quite the Quidditch player in my youth but then I dropped it all for my travels and saving the world. I just want you to know that any time you want some personal training, I'm always willing to give you a hand."

"Harry, do you mind if you go back to Herbology, I want to have a private word with Lockhart." I said to the other boy.

As soon as he left I turned to Lockhart. "Save the crap, I know you're a fraud. You haven't done half the stuff you've said you've done, and I know. Because you're purely incapable of casting a single spell and I read actual books. So you better tone down your ego a bit otherwise I will expose you." I said quite threateningly. I wanted him to stop because he seemed to winning over Hermione with lies rather than facts, and yeah, it mattered to me. I was jealous and I was annoyed at how a fraud was getting more of Hermione's attention that I was.

After I left, I returned back to Herbology where we were learning about Mandrakes.

"We'll be repotting Mandrakes today. Now, who can tell me the properties of the Mandrake?" Professor Sprout asked.

Both me and Hermione raised our hands.

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is a powerful restorative," said Hermione, "it is used to return people who have been transfigured or cursed to their original state."

"Excellent. Ten points to Gryffindor," said Professor Sprout, "the Mandrake forms an essential part of most antidotes. It is also, however, dangerous. Who can tell me why?"

"The cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it," I answered this time.

"Precisely. Take another ten points," said Professor Sprout, "now, the Mandrakes we have here are still very young. So the cries aren't as deadly."

We were all given earmuffs which we used to prevent reacting to the baby Mandrake's cry.

"As our Mandrakes are only seedlings, their cries won't kill yet," she said calmly, "however, they will knock you out for several hours, and as I'm sure none of you want to miss your first day back, make sure your earmuffs are securely in place while you work. I will attract your attention when it is time to pack up. Four to a tray, there is a large supply of pots here, compost in the sacks over there, and be careful of the Venomous Tentacula, it's teething."

The rest of the lesson, I focused on the Mandrakes, barely giving my conversation with Lockhart another thought.