19. Aragog

Y/N's POV

"We need to go to Hagrid's." Ron said.

"We can use the invisibility cloak." said Harry. I nodded as Harry got his cloak and covered the three of us. We made our way out to Hagrid's hut and knocked. Hagrid opened the door and pointed a crossbow at us.

"Oh," he said, lowering the weapon and staring at us, "what're you three doin' here?"

"What's that for?" asked Harry, pointing at the crossbow as we stepped inside.

"Nothin'-nothin'." Hagrid muttered. "I've bin expectin'-doesn' matter, sit down, I'll make tea-"

"Are you okay, Hagrid?" said Harry. "Did you hear about Hermione?"

"Oh, I heard, all righ'," said Hagrid, a slight break in his voice.

Just then there was a loud knock, we hid under the cloak and went to a corner.

"Good evening, Hagrid."

It was Dumbledore. He entered, looking deadly serious, and was followed by a second, very odd-looking man.

"That's Dad's boss!" Ron breathed. "Cornelius Fudge, the Minister of Magic!" I elbowed Ron hard to make him shut up.

"Bad business, Hagrid," said Fudge, "very bad business. Had to come. Four attacks on Muggle-borns. Things have gone far enough. Ministry's got to act."

"I never," said Hagrid, looking imploringly at Dumbledore, "you know I never, Professor Dumbledore, sir-"

"I want it understood, Cornelius, that Hagrid has my full confidence," said Dumbledore, frowning at Fudge.

"Look, Albus," said Fudge, uncomfortably, "Hagrid's record's against him. Ministry's got to do something, the school governors have been in touch-"

"Yet again, Cornelius, I tell you that taking Hagrid away will not help in the slightest," said Dumbledore.

"Look at it from my point of view," said Fudge, fidgeting with his hat, "I'm under a lot of pressure. Got to be seen to be doing something. If it turns out it wasn't Hagrid, he'll be back and no more said. But I've got to take him. Got to. Wouldn't be doing my duty-"

"Take me?" said Hagrid, who was trembling. "Take me where?"

"For a short stretch only," said Fudge, not meeting Hagrid's eyes, "not a punishment, Hagrid, more a precaution. If someone else is caught, you'll be let out with a full apology-"

"Not Azkaban?" croaked Hagrid.

Before Fudge could answer, there was another knock on the door.

Dumbledore answered it.

Lucius Malfoy strode into Hagrid's hut, smiling a cold and satisfied smile.

"Already here, Fudge," he said approvingly, "good, good..."

"What're you doin' here?" said Hagrid furiously. "Get outta my house!"

"My dear man, please believe me, I have no pleasure at all in being here." said Lucius Malfoy, sneering as he looked around the small hut. "I simply called at the school and was told that the headmaster was here."

"And what exactly did you want with me, Lucius?" asked Dumbledore.

"Dreadful thing, Dumbledore," said Malfoy lazily, taking out a long roll of parchment, "but the governors feel it's time for you to step aside. This is an Order of Suspension, you'll find all twelve signatures on it. I'm afraid we feel you're losing your touch. How many attacks have there been now? Two more this afternoon, wasn't it? At this rate, there'll be no Muggle-borns left at Hogwarts, and we all know what an awful loss that would be to the school."