Promise

I remember back then, we are just 5 years old. I already like you that time. But I cherish our friendship the most so I kept it as a secret. But when your birthday came, you told something to me.

You gave me a piece of paper and a pen. I read the paper and it shocked me, of course, who wouldn't? In the age of 6, we already have our marriage promises.

Marriage Promise

I, Kurt Dave, will marry Pauleen Kim at the age of 23 if we don't have our someone special in that age. We will love each other unconditionally, and that is a promise to her.

Nagulat ako nang nabasa ko iyon. Why did she suddenly wrote this? Sa ilalim ng papel ay may dalawang linya, sa ilalim ng dalawang linya ay nakasulat ang pangalan namin, nakita ko ang isang linya na may pirma kung saan nakalagay ang pangalan ni Pauleen.

“Sign it, Kurty! Then you must keep this paper and show it to me when we are already 23, okay?” she said that in a cute and slow tone. I nodded and signed it. This paper is my hope, dito ako aasa na baka sakaling may pag-asa kaming dalawa.

We're already fifteen. Lagi akong nasa tabi niya tuwing iniiwan siya ng mga nagiging boyfriend niya. And now, Iʼm beside her, hugging her and comforting her. Ilang beses nang nangyari ito sa kaniya, lagi na lang siyang iniiwan ng mga nagiging kasintahan niya. Pauleenʼs rich. At sa tingin ko, pera lamang ang habol ng mga lalaking iyon sa kaniya.

I looked at her while stroking her hair.

Bakit kasi hindi na lang ako?

And now, Iʼm still holding on to that promise, that we will marry each other, just fucking 8 years, Pau, please wait for me, and I promise to you that when the day comes, no one will hurt you, and I will take care of you more than you expect.

At the age of 20, I can see that sheʼs happy. She already have a boyfriend, tatlong taon na silang magkasintahan, at sa lahat ng naging boyfriend niya, ito lamang ang nagtagal. Tatlong taon na lang, sana hindi pa siya 'yong tamang tao para sa kaniya, why? Because I still want to marry her. I remained single for a long time just to wait for her. Tatlong taon na lang, kaso, aasa pa ba ako?

I sighed while looking at them from a far.

Masaya na siya, guguluhin ko pa ba? Ipapaalala ko pa ba? O hindi na, para hindi na siya makonsensya at maging masaya siya sa piling niya?

Weʼre already 23. And today is her birthday, balak kong ipakita sa kaniya ang ebidensya ng pangako namin sa isa't-isa. This is the most awaited day ever. And yeah, she and her boyfriend have broken up last week. But it doesn't mean that I am taking advantage of that, because I know, she haven't moved on yet. Gusto ko lang ipakita sa kaniya, kasi malay niyo, may pag-asa pa.

I prepared my gift for her, it is an anklet with an infinity sign. Matagal ko na dapat 'tong bibilhin sa kaniya but I reserved it for her birthday. No'ng mga panahong ayos pa siya, sinamahan ko siya sa mall, then we saw this anklet in a jewelry shop.

I went to the hospital to visit her. On my way on her room, I heard some loud screams. Napatakbo ako nang mabilis dahil doon. Something bad might happen again to her.