Chapter 38: Five

⭐️Chapter 38: Five

Goggles was getting hungry. His snacks didn't help. The other two were also getting hungry, but they needed to keep going. Ebony brought out his fruit, which turned out to have gone mushy. He threw it into the woods, away from their path. Last thing they needed was a hungry beast on their tail. Ebony had used a special kind of shadow flame (a purple one) that emit some light to help guide them.

They had to admit, they didn't like the dark. However, all three of them together gave them a sense of security, and let them do better. Goggles had Prince (he wasn't sure about Ebony yet) and Prince had Goggles and Ebony. They were comfortable, and knew that they could easily work together to defeat whatever the darkness threw at them. They soon found a tree with orange fruits hanging from it. They seemed smaller than the inkopolis variant though....that is, if this was what they thought it was.

"Is that...wild bombegranite?" Prince asked, looking up at them.

"Looks like it to me..." Ebony squinted to see if he could see anything off about them.

"Well, only one way to find out!" Goggles said.

And with that, they climbed up the tree and picked one. Carefully, he aimed it away from his face and carefully tore at the fruit skin on the side away from his face. The juice shot out as expected, and then slowed to a drip.

"I think they are!" Goggles said, down to the other two.

"Taste test!" Prince said happily.

Goggles got down, bombegranite in hand. He dug in further into the skin with his fingers and found some kernels. Prince took some and the two nibbled them. They tasted like orange mixed with pomegranate. this was the right fruit!

"Yes! It's the right one!" The two cheered. Ebony smiled with delight.

Quickly, they went back up the tree to get more. They gently tossed them down, and Ebony caught them. Then they slowly got back down and off the tree. They split the fruits they collected amongst themselves, then sat down and dove in, careful to aim the initial juice spray away from anyone. The kernels were crunchy but sweet and delicious.

"Food! Finally..." Goggles sighed in relief.

"It's so good..." Ebony said, content with the juice and flavor the fruit provided.

"Wait, shadowlings eat bombegranates?" Prince asked, looking up from his fruit.

"Yeah! Sure, we might be uneducated on some of your food choices, but I think some things are just common amongst everyone!"

Prince continued eating.
"Ah, true..."

Just then, they thought they heard something.

nyeerr.

What was that noise?

nyeeeeRRRRR-

Everyone looked around. Where was it coming from? The two princes stood up and drew their swords. Goggles also stood up as well, shadowshot ready. They faced the path ahead.

NYEEEEEEEERRRRRRR-

Wait.
It wasn't coming from the front-
They looked behind them, only to see...