Vytaligo: Beginning of an End

Lucas P.O.V.

I smoke what's left of my cigar and walk towards the nearest bin to flick it off. As I do, I see Team JNPR and (Y/N)'s team eating together. I look on thinking something isn't right today.

It hasn't been like this when I first started going to the festival. I mean, yeah, sometimes I get a gut feeling that something's off. But today, it's too suspicious. As I ponder on the thought, I feel a hand on my shoulder. My instincts almost kick in to take down whoever it is but I turn around to see Ozpin.

O: Hope I didn't scare you.
"No. You just put me on high alert."
O: Oh, I'm sorry about that.
"It's alright. But let me ask you this..."
O: Go on. *sip*

I can't help but wonder why the hell does he carry his mug even in this event. But I go back to the question.

"Does today feel a bit off to you?"
O: Well, no, it seems perfectly fine to me.
"Are you sure? You don't feel anything just a tad bit fucky?"
O: First, I do not feel anything that you refer to as "fucky". Second, I am sure of that. Maybe it's just you, Lucas.
"Oh..."

There was a long awkward pause before he finally spome up.

O: But seeing as how the calmest, coldest, and most stoic student I know is currently on edge because of something, I'll keep an eye out. Just for you, Lucas. To help you calm down.
"Thank you, professor."

I don't smile at his words-despite being reassuring-because I'm too on edge right now. As I think about it, I see (Y/N)'s team already entering the arena. I hope they don't get in too much trouble with the Shade Academy team...

...

After conversing with Ozpin, I decided to head down to Beacon to calm myself down. I head out to Vale and stop by at my old hangout cafè. Thea, the cashier/barista, knew me right away.

T: Well, look who the cat dragged in...

She left her post and walked up to hug me. I awkwardly hug her back.

T: Someone's happy today.

I got confused by her words. Happy? I'm pretty much the opposite of that today. Then I realized that there was a tiny smile on my face. I quickly return back to my stoic state.

"Seems to be a malfunction."
T: Oh, come on, don't be like that. Smiling is just natural thing.
"Seems unnatural to me, though."
T: You never change, do you?
*shrug* "I don't know."
T: Alright then, what can I get for you?
"Just a tall order of lattè, please."
T: Alright. Take a seat first, Lucas. It'll be ready for you in a moment.
"I trust your word on that."

She gives a chuckle and leaves. Just then, I get a buzz from my scroll. Apprently, it's my teammate, Ybarra. I check the photo he sent to me. It was his family and my 3 month old dog. I left it there while I was on call for this event. It had a caption: He's really missing you so much, Cas.

I reply, saying that I'll be home soon. Or I hope it'll be soon...

Just as I was pondering on my thoughts, Thea had set down a glass of lattè.

T: On the house.
"I thought we were inside the house."
T: Hmph. Lucas, I'll make you pay.
"I insist."
T: No, it's alright.
"But you sa-"
T: Forget what I said. It's on the house.
"Why?"
T: 'Cause I really missed my regular customer since he left. Think of it as a homecoming present.
"Bu-"
T: Shhh. I know, I know. Now, enjoy the drink, Lucas.
"Thank you."

I didn't know what she was on about but she's still her old self. A jokester. Looking back at my scroll, I see it buzzing with Ozpin's face on it.

I press to pick up and answer.