Vytaligo

I sat there at the noodle stand tapping my fingers on the countertop and beside me was Faye slurping away on her noodles.

F: Hey, dude.
"Hmm?"
F: You alright? You seem out of it.
"Oh, uh, just kinda nervous about the tournament. About who we're going to fight, I mean."
F: Hey, man, we'll be alright. Win or lose, we still have each other. But, I assure you that we'll have this first fight in the bag.
"Thanks, Faye. Anyway, where's the other two?"
F: C.C. and Al? They went and watched Team JNPR's fight.
"Oh shit, I forgot. Dammit! I missed the fight. Pyrrha's gonna be upset about this."
F: Hey, don't worry, (Y/N), I'm sure she'll forgive you. Besides, it's the first fight. I'm sure that she'll win with her team.

With that reassurance, I see Al and C.C. exit the stadium. They went immediately to us with smile on their faces.

F: Hey, girls, who won the fight?
A: Team JNPR.
C: Well, specifically, that one small ginger girl with the gigantic ass hammer...
A: She smashed the competition.
C: Like, literally. The first few minutes was just Team JNPR's leader spazzing out or something.
A: I think he was making a plan for the team from what I've heard...
C: If letting the ginger girl flatten the enemy was the plan, then it worked.
A: Totally foolproof.
F: Well, that was an experience.
"You're telling me."
F: Look at it this way, there won't be much talk about the fight between you two.
"Yeah, I guess so..."

With that, the two girls join us in our "pre-fight meal". And while I was eating, I see Team JNPR. I excused myself from my team and walked right up to Pyrrha.

"Hey! Pyrrha!"
P: Oh! (Y/N), hello again!
"Yeah, um, sorry I didn't see your team fight. I kinda forgot..."
P: Oh, well, it's alright. It wasn't as action-packed as some thought. Nora, there, took care of it swiftly.
"So, I heard. Hey, Nora."
N: Hey, (Y/N)!
"Great job out there."
N: No problem. I just do what I have to do.
"And, Jaune, I'm sure the win wouldn't have happened if you had great leadership skills..."
J: Hardly. Our communication skills are equal to, how you say, clusterfuck.
N: Woah, Jaune, language!
P: Now, now, Jaune, no need for foul words.
"Nah, it's okay. Sometimes you just want to release a small amount of stress out and swear. It's perfectly fine. Now, if we're talking about clusterfucks..."

I put my hand on his shoulder, gave a heavy sigh and a stern look.

"You haven't seen the true meaning of it. Believe me."

With that, I have a little flashback from when I was still in Signal. That incident involving a beaker, an electric fan, a quarter pound taco, and the girls' bathroom gave me chills just by thinking of it. I shake myself from the thought and continue our conversation.

J: Uh...
"Oh, yeah. Sorry 'bout that. Where was I?"
J: The true meaning of a clusterfuck?
"Oh, okay..."
P: Um, anyways, when's your team fighting?
"Oh, just after Team RWBY."
R: Wait, isn't that the next fight?
P: That's right. So, (Y/N), what's the plan for it?
"I, honestly, don't have a plan. We don't know what the team we're facing's gonna throw at us. It's better to evade first."
P: Sounds reasonable.
"Yep. And on top of that, I know the team members personally. Two of them actually. They're both in Shade."
N: Shade Academy?
"None other."
J: Maybe you could ask them to go easy on your team.
"Knowing my bestfriends, they'd be probably willing to committ 2nd degree murder."
P: That's really not reassuring.
"Oh, don't worry, Pyrrha. If I, too, have to committ murder against my bestfriend, I'd do it in a heartbeat."

I laugh softly at my own joke but the others didn't laugh along with me. They just gave me concerned stares. I break the awkward tension from the conversation and offered Team JNPR a spot to eat with us and the rest of that time were spent chatting with each other before our first fight. I'm anxious about the whole thing, to be honest. This tournament is a big deal for us and everybody involved.

15 minutes later...

I look back at my teammates and give a waiting signal. They all look at me and ready their weapon. We emerge from the stage and so does the other team.

I immediately see Ian and wave to him.

I: Hey! (Y/N)! I'm over here!
"I see you, man! I missed you!"
I: It was kinda sad not having you by my side while I sleep!

I was kind of caught off-guard and knew that he was trying to embarass me. So, I did what any person would do: embarass the other guy.

"It was hard not being able to touch your body for so long!"

It was just casual bestfriend banter. Live. On TV. Being broadcasted. It was worth it, though.

I: Wanna date again!?
"Not this time, man, I got a girl!"
F: Why are you two yelling at each other? We're, like, casual conversating distance. Not a yelling contest.
"It's a bestfriend thing, Faye. Our bestfriend thing."
I: Hey, dude, who's that lady you got there?
"This is my teammate. Her name's Fabienne"
I: Oh...that's a nice name you have.
F: Thanks. Now, can we get this over with?
I: Our pleasure.

The announcer counts down and as soon as he says zero, we all charge at each other.