The last time she had heard noises like that was when she was closing the gate and she could hear Hopper firing his gun behind her.

As the fireworks got increasingly loud and El got even more scared, tears started to well in her eyes. She had nobody there to tell her it was okay or hold her until the tears stopped. She was alone.

El finally had the courage to get up off of the couch and ran to her room quickly. She jumped onto her bed, curling into herself has she grasped the walkie in her hand. She shakily turned it to the correct channel and called for the one person she knew she could count on.

Her voice came out shaky as she uttered her first words into the device. "Mike?" she quietly whispered with a quiver in her voice. She waited for him to answer for a few seconds before speaking again. "Mike? Are you there?" she asked with a whimper.

After a couple more seconds, she finally heard shuffling on the other line. "El? What's wrong? Are you okay?" his voice was urgent as he stumbled over his own words. "Mike. The noise. I'm scared."

It took a moment for Mike to understand what she meant by noise but it came to him quickly and he knew that she was scared of the fireworks.

"Hey, El, don't worry. I'll be right there!" he said quickly, desperately wanting to get to his scared girlfriend and help her feel better. She squeaked out a small okay and Mike was running up the basement stairs.

Mike had planned on going over to the cabin tonight to spend the holiday with El but his mom had made him stay for the annual Wheeler 4th of July party.

Mike didn't care for the party, at all. He didn't want to stand in his house, surrounded by cousins he barely knew the names of while the adults drank wine until they giggled at everything that came out of their mouths.

He had been moving around the basement when he heard El's scared voice ring throughout the basement. He immediately ran to the blanket fort to grab his walkie and answered as fast as he could.

Mike could tell El was alone and scared when he heard her speak. He didn't want that. He wanted her to be safe and happy, and if him going against his mom's orders and leaving the house without permission then he would do it in a heartbeat.

Besides, his mom was probably already so drunk that she wouldn't even notice he was gone. So, he left through the basement door, hopped on his bike, and pedaled as fast as he could.

•••

When Mike arrived to the cabin, he immediately jumped off of his bike, throwing it carelessly to the ground, and making his way to the front door.

He knocked on the door softly, not even getting to finish the pattern that Hopper had taught him a few months ago, before the door swung open and he was being pulled into the embrace of a smaller body.

El immediately wrapped her arms around Mike's torso tightly after she had pulled him into the cabin. Mike used one of his hands to lightly shut the door before wrapping his arms around her shoulders just as tight.

They stood in that stance for a few seconds before he brought one hand up to cradle her head that was placed in the crook of his neck. He brushed the palm of his hand softly over the crown of her head as if he was smoothing down her curls.

El continued to sniffle, the tears flowing freely down her cheeks and onto the fabric of Mike's shirt. He whispered sweet nothings into her ear in his best attempt to calm her down and assure her that everything was okay.

"It's okay. I'm here now. I'm not going anywhere. You're safe."

After a couple minutes, Mike brought his hands down to comfortingly caress her back. El pulled her head away from his chest slightly to look into his eyes. Mike brought his head down, gently connecting his forehead with hers.