When regret strikes

REMEMBER: VOTE FIRST!

December, Friday

Melissa

"I've been feeling really sick lately" Vanessa informs me through my Bluetooth, her voice sounding low and sad. I know that whatever is going on between her and Jerome is really taking a toll out on her.

"Sick how?" I ask concernedly as I start to take my groceries out the cart and placing them on the belt to be checked out. "I'm good love" I answer the cashier after hearing her ask me how I'm doing.

"Sick" she takes a deep breath before saying the next part "Sick as in I might be pregnant again. I've been throwing up a lot. And almost any smell bothers me"

My mouth drops, and my hand stops midway from picking up the bag of grapes "Wow. Have you taken a pregnancy test?" I politely smile at the cashier when I see her give me a curious look.

"No. I'm scared Mel" she releases a deep breath. I continue doing what I was doing. My cart still looks like I haven't touched it.

"Scared of what Vane?"

"I don't want to be pregnant right now!" She exclaims into the phone. I quickly remove the Bluetooth and put it back just as quick. "I'm not ready to take another hit, Mel. I'm not" I hear her sniffle, and I instantly know that she's crying.

Yup, she's definitely pregnant.

"Well how would you ever get to know the real feeling of being a winner if you've never lost? Miscarriages happen everyday Vane. You can't let that frighten you" I say encouragingly to my best friend. I nod when the cashier asks me if I want my two gallons of milk in a bag.

"Mel I just want this soooo badly. I don't think I can take another lost" she sobs, and my heart instantly starts to ache for my best friend.

"You can. You know why you can? Because you're strong. God will never let you go through something that he knows you couldn't bear" I say, and weirdly the cashier looks at me again.

"I know" she replies with a sigh. "I know"

"Then I need you to take that test. Or three. Or even five. And if they say positive, scratch that, when they say positive, and I know that they will because my mom had a fish dream, I'll come down there and celebrate with you" I smile as if she can see me.

She chuckles "She told you about that dream too?"

"Yup. And I believe in it because that's exactly how she found out when I was pregnant with both RJ and Mikaela" I recall happily.

"Well you go on and believe in that. I believe in her gift as a prophet"

I roll my eyes "Well duh, me too" I say and we both stay quiet on the phone after that. I pick up the last three items from the cart and place them on the belt. The lady looks as if she's tired of scanning.

"Your total is two-hundred thirty five dollars, and seventy-one cents" she says to me as I pull out my debit card.

"Dang! Did you buy the whole store?!" Vanessa dramatically exclaims in my ear, for the second time. The nerve she has. She stays in a house of two and her grocery bill be way much more than mine.

"You shouldn't be saying anything! I have five mouths to feed!" I enter my pin into the pad and patiently wait for it to approve. A few seconds later, it does.

"Well hopefully I'll have three mouths to feed soon"

"That's the spirit bestie" I smile as I take my many bags from the hook to put them in the cart. "Let me call you back when I get in my car Vane, I'm struggling right now"