Confrontation

REMEMBER: VOTE FIRST!

November, Friday

Vanessa

Do you know what's the best part about being happily married?

Getting to go home every day and night to your partner and knowing that you have somone to share your ideas with. Having somone who is fully committed to you and getting to enjoy them for the rest of your life. Nevertheless, just coming home and knowing that I'll see my husband sometime before I fell asleep is definitely one of the best part about being married.

Well, perhaps the reasoning isn't the same for everyone because it certainly isn't for me today.

Today is one of those days where, instead of happily driving my 2017 Maserati Quattrope into the garage of my home, I just wanted to drive past the whole house, despite knowing that my husband is there waiting on me. Today isn't one of those days where I'm overfilled with excitement to walk through the doors of my home to meet my husband at the entrance for a quicky. Why?

Because, for the first time in six months, we will be sharing our home with his hateful family. And by hateful, I mean extremely and overly hateful towards me.

I just wish that today was just a regular day without thanksgiving being right around the corner.

"I really don't want to go in, Mel" I complain to my bestfriend on the phone. My bestfriend that I still haven't told that I'm pregnant. But can you really blame me? I'm only ten weeks along. Early stage is definitely something that frightens me. I can't shake off the feeling that something may just go extremely wrong because I've seen it happen way too many times.

"Vee" she starts off with a laugh. "You've been sitting in that garage for the past thirty minutes. I'm surprised Jerome hasn't come looking for you yet"

I roll my eyes "He's probably too busy making sure mama bear is pleased" I quickly visualize my husband in there just listening to his mother talk a whole bunch of nonesense to him, even though he doesn't care.

"Girl, you're really going to let that woman kick you out of your own home?"

I release a deep breath and lay back more comfortably on the seat of my car. Jerome's car. I didn't want to drive my Ford Escape today.  "Mel you really don't understand. I have absolutely no energy to deal with her right now" I place a hand on my forehead, desperate for a boost of confidence from somewhere.

"It's your dang house! That YOU and YOUR husband worked hard for. You can't let his family keep running over you just because you're not the ethnicity they wanted for their son"

"Grrr" I abruptly sit up "I know! I know! But I know that it will not be a pretty scene if I open my mouth" I admit, placing a hand over my very flat stomach. It's just odd to know that in just a few months it will be expanding.

"Well, are you finally going to put them in their place or keep being a victim? I mean, you can't even get into your home for God's sake" And just by her tone, I can already imagine her facial expression. I can just imagine her standing naked in her bathroom with her hand on her hip. And I know that she is naked because she told me that she was just getting out of the shower when I called.

I close my eyes for a brief second and really ponder on her words. Is this really what my life has come to? "I just wish that I could drive to Jersey right now"

"Nope. I wish you'd get out that car and walk into your home like it's really yours" She responds, just as I hear shuffling in the background. I know her well enough to know that she's either putting on lotion or in the process of blow drying her hair.