Thanksgiving

REMEMBER: VOTE FIRST!

November, Thursday

Jade

"You really didn't have to wake up babes, I know you must be tired" Jeremiah's mother, also known as Evangelist Fabe, says to me for the third time this morning.

I smile at her from the other side of her very beautiful kitchen. Although I've been in this house just a few times, I've never gotten quite the honor to stand, let alone cook in the kitchen. I wipe the marble counter once more, making sure that it is as spotless as it was before.

"Trust me, Mrs. Davis, this is a pleasure. I honestly wish I could do more" I briefly spare her a quick glance, because I'm too shy, dare I say embarrassed, to even look at her. She doesn't look as if she just threw down in the kitchen not too long ago. Even with an apron wrapped around her, and a thin hairnet securing her long styled hair, her light makeup stayed intact. She looks as beautiful as ever.

Jeremiah is a spitting image of his mother, just slightly with a darker complexion and manly features.

"You've helped plenty child" she assured me with a very beautiful smile of her own. "I haven't had help like this since my daughter was single and still living with me" she turns on the water and washes her hand in the sink.

I briefly think about Jeremiah's older sister. Candice. Now, she on the other hand, is Mr. Davis's twin. All three of Fabe's children are so polite and so welcoming just like her. I remember how much I used to wish that I could be part of their family. Although, being in the position that I'm in right now is a great blessing. The fact that they're known so much around the world means they don't let just anybody into their home.

"Isn't this your first thanksgiving apart from your other children?" I throw the piece of napkin that I was using in the trash and move to check on the mac n' cheese that I made under the oven.

"Not my first. But it's been a while since I've had to do that" she wipes her hands and throws her napkin away and remove her apron. She folds it very neatly and returns it to the drawer she previously took it from.

"I'm sorry" I find myself saying, nearly wanting to shut my head in the oven when she stares back at me. She does not look like a woman who's in her mid-fifties. She almost looks as young as my mother who's in her mid-thirties.

"You're very sweet. Is your mom sleeping alright?" She asks, slowly walking towards me. I quickly shut the oven back up because the macaroni isn't yet done.

"Um, she's sleeping fine, thank you" I rub my hands down my own thanksgiving apron.

"Does she know that she's going to rehab tomorrow? I haven't had the chance to speak to her"

"Yes ma'am, she knows, and I think she's happy" I respond, vaguely remembering the lack of enthusiasm and energy my mom offered when I told her the very generous amount that Jeremiah's parents paid in able for her to have a normal life with me again. "I-I'm really, thank you so much. I really appreciate this Mrs. David, you don't understand"

She smiles again "I wish you would just stop thanking me, hon. God blesses those who gives. My husband and I have been blessed beyond measure, we were certainly happy to do this for you" she places a hand on my shoulder and quickly rubs.